SimpleBits has been my tiny creative studio where I’ve made websites and things for people like you. Lately I’ve been spending most of my creative time working on Advencher Supply Co. and prior to that, Dribbble.
SimpleBits has also been a weblog for almost two decades, where I write about design, CSS, markup, web standards, craftsmanship, business, and the occasional bit on life in general. In 2015 I archived all previous content and rebooted SimpleBits as a handcrafted, static weblog, powered by Jekyll.
I live and work in Salem, Massachusetts, a New England seaport just north of Boston. People like to come here in October.
In 2007 I made a (now useless, but free) pixel icon font called Chameleon16.
Photo by M. Cooper
Next, I’m going to write about myself in the third person.
About Dan Cederholm
Dan Cederholm is the Co-founder of Dribbble, a vibrant community of designers sharing their work and owner and designer of Advencher Supply Co.. He’s also the founder of SimpleBits, a tiny design studio and blog.
A longtime advocate of standards-based web design and keynote speaker at events around the globe, Dan has worked with YouTube, Microsoft, Google, MTV, ESPN, Electronic Arts, Blogger, Fast Company, and more. He’s also a TechFellow and co-founded and designed Cork’d, which was the first social network for wine aficionados.
Dan has written five books on the craft of creating websites:
- Sass For Web Designers (A Book Apart)
- CSS3 For Web Designers (A Book Apart)
- Handcrafted CSS (New Riders)
- Bulletproof Web Design (New Riders)
- Web Standards Solutions (Friends of ED)
He likes clawhammer banjo, ampersands, and cautious adventuring. He lives with his two kids in Salem, Massachusetts.
SimpleBits is hosted by MediaTemple, who offer a variety of low-cost but feature-rich hosting plans. We’ve been very happy to store our bits and bytes there and recommend (mt) highly.
Interviews with Dan
- Made By: Dan Cederholm
- Video profile by Envato (March 2015)
- Pixel Recess
- Podcast interview with Paul Armstrong (December 2013)
- The Big Web Show
- Podcast interview with Jeffrey Zeldman (October 2013)
- The Non-Breaking Space Show
- Podcast interview with Christopher Schmitt and Trent Walton (December 2012)
- Podcast interview with Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert. (July 2012)
- The Great Discontent
- An interview with Ryan & Tina Essmaker. (May 2012)
- Offscreen Magazine
- Interview feature for a new print publication covering web builders. (February 2012)
- Interview with Dribbble’s co-founder Dan Cederholm
- Answering some tough questions about Dribbble from the folks at Web Designer Depot. (May 2011)
- The Pipeline
- Dan Cederholm joins Dan Benjamin to discuss design, business development, public speaking, the blog gap, working outside the tech scene, distractions, blogs vs. twitter, designing in code, dribbble, Cork’d, and book writing. (December 2010)
- The Big Web Show
- Video podcast with hosts Dan Benjamin and Jeffrey Zeldman. (October 2010)
- Think Vitamin Radio
- An audio interview at Future of Web Design London, where Keir Whitaker and I talk about Dribbble. (July 2010)
- Dribbble: Dan Cederholm and Rich Thornett
- Geoffrey Grosenbach interviewed Rich and I for the Rails Podcast. (May 2010)
- The Setup
- A nerdy interview about the gear I use to create stuff. (January 2010)
- Carsonified: Dan Cederholm on Bulletproof Web Design, CSS3 and Dribbble
- A quick interview with Carsonified’s Keir Whitaker, on bulletproof design, CSS3 and a little leak on what Dribbble is. (November 2009)
- BusinessWeek: Sphere Redesign Case Study
- Part of a Web Design Special Report (June 2008)
- Edgework: Dan Cederholm
- An audio interview with Brian Oberkirch, and part of his ongoing series of podcasts. (January 2007)
- An audio conversation about Cork’d, with Ryan Carson of Carson Systems in London. (August 2006)
- Inside the Net
- A 40 minute podcast with Amerber Mac and Leo Laporte, discussing SimpleBits, books, current trends and more. (April 2006)
- Web 2.0 Show: Episode 10: Dan Cederholm
- About a half hour audio interview for the regular podcast series. (February 2006)
- Treehouse Magazine: Cederholm/Hicks Conversation
- For the December 2005 edition of Treehouse (a PDF web design publication), Jon Hicks and I interviewed each other about design, music, favorite curses and more. (December 2005)
- Digital Web Magazine
- Anwering questions about Bulletproof Web Design, why the Pixies rock so hard, and what I really think about fluid layouts. (September 2005)
- Professional CSS
- Author Ethan Marcotte interviews me regarding the FastCompany.com redesign as part of this comprehensive book from Wrox Press. (July 2005)
- Interview with Dan Cederholm from SimpleBits.com
- Friends of ED interviews me about my book, The Pixies, robots, monkeys and more. (July 2004)
- Ten Questions for Dan Cederholm
- Russ Weakley of the Web Standards Group asks ten questions on design, standards, semantic markup and more. (June 2004)
- WaSP Interviews Dan Cederholm
- Dave Shea of the Web Standards Project interviewed me on the standards-compliant redesigns of Fast Company and Inc.. (November 2003)
- Dan Cederholm Under the Iron
- Jesper of waffle asks me a few questions as part of his ongoing interview series. (February 2004)