Webstocked

I just returned from New Zealand, where I spoke at Webstock. I am tired. I had a tremendous time. I was amazed at the quality of the organization of the conference. I loved the branding that was found on everything from the t-shirt to the speakers’ dinner menus. I saw many old friends and met new ones. I think my talk went over pretty well. I missed out on a lot of the talks due to being obsessive about my slides. I found out I’m not the only one that does that.

I took a lot of pictures. I rented a car and drove up through the center of the North Island and back. I was scared to drive on the opposite side of the road. I loved the espresso in Wellington, in particular People’s Coffee which was free throughout the conference. I’d like to attend more conferences that dispense free, high-quality espresso. I wish I could’ve visited the South Island. I really should’ve enabled mobile roaming before I left the country. I think kiwis are extremely friendly people. I found out that the term kiwi comes from the bird and not the fruit.

I never had a February 11, 2008. I missed my family terribly. I’m calling New Zealand “earth concentrate”, where a two-hour drive can take you through 10 different landscapes. I saw a few movie stars at the hotel in Wellington. I left my iPhone USB cable at a motel near Lake Taupo. I paid $39NZ for a new iPhone USB cable. I am thankful and honored for having to the opportunity to travel so far to talk about web design. I’ll be forever grateful to the hard-working Webstock organizers, in particular Natasha Hall and Mike Brown.

I think I’ll post this, just as it is.

1. Rachel C says:

Glad you enjoyed our little country! You have saved the best part (the South Island) for your next trip down here ;)

2. Shane says:

Must. Become. Web. Master.
    Seriously. What an amazing honor to be able to travel all the way to New Freaking Zealand to talk about the Web. Very cool.

3. Welcome home, Dan. Thank you for posting the pictures. I have never been but now desperately would like to visit.

4. Darren Wood says:

Dan, Thanks so much for traveling all the way down to little ole En Zed.
    It was an amazing conference and was awesome to meet you attend your excellent presentation!
    Thanks for the coaster, microformats sticker and encouragement to add more ‘wow’ to my web designs.

5. Steve Dennis says:

Your talk was great, I would have bought you and Luke a drink at the Macs Brewery but my friends were just leaving. I guess I’ll have to set up foamee and owe you one.
    ‘Kiwi’ are ‘Kiwifruit’. Spread the word :)

6. Kent says:

Great photos. Really interesting to see our little place through a visitors eyes.
    Maybe next year I’ll be able to attend, rather than just walking past everyone going in each morning on my way to work ;>

7. Thank you for coming all the way down here and I’m glad you were able to see some of the country while you were here. As Rachel said, you’ve saved the best for next time.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation. Superb.

8. Nice to meet you too Dan. Keep in touch.

9. Jonathan T says:

Your slide obsession showed! – great presentation! Nice to have you down here.

10. Galen King says:

I’ve been wanting to drop you a line since I got back from Wellington to say how much I enjoyed your presentation. Well done and many thanks.
    Look forward to seeing you next time ’round.
    Go the South Island!

11. Bruce says:

Thanks for sharing your impressions and photos Dan (I see you discovered Tui; they have a wonderful “Yeah right!” ad campaign). Like the kiwi, that’s also named after the Tui bird which can be seen and heard in good numbers in Wellington.

12. Michel says:

Nicely told story:)
    I think I’ll post this, just as it is.
    I enjoyed it ‘as it is’! :-) Almost wished I could go see New Zealand for myself..

13. Michel says:

(PS Hmm, sorry, BLOCQUOTE code was removed automatically around the citation, didn’t notice…)

14. Jesse C. says:

Years ago, I left Canada to work for a short time on a television show being shot in Wellington, and I remember being absolutely awestruck.
    But the South Island–Dan, you’ve got to go back, man. It’s the star of the show.
    Actually, no, the people are the star of the show. They’re great.

15. Nice post, Dan. As it is was just perfect – sounds like you had a wonderful trip for the most part – I’ve been to South Africa and it’s the same way in part s (earth concentrate) – beautiful country – hopefully I can make it to NZ sometime as well.
    Cheers.

16. Jeff says:

Well, you never had February 11, but you did probably get TWO February 18ths, right? Beautiful pictures, man.

17. Ben Lilley says:

Hey Dan,
    Just wanted to say I’m glad that you enjoyed it here in NZ, and hopefully you’ll return to Webstock again, and hopefully this time I’ll get to go.
    Cheers!

18. Mike Birch says:

Thanks for a brilliant presentation, which was “well crafted”.
    Glad to see you made it to Lake Taupo!

19. Johnny Hall says:

Dear Dan Cederholm,
    I’m sorry I was the jerk that said you had far too many ‘lolcats’ in your presentation. Your presentation was in fact, super bad ass, thoroughly enjoyable and very inspiring.
    Yours with ampersands,
    Johnny Hall

20. John Moore says:

Thanks for an inspiring presentation, and 3 note-pages full of great URLs to remind us that the simlpe things in life work best! Hope you make it here again soon…

21. John Moore says:

Thanks for an inspiring presentation, and 3 note-pages full of great URLs to remind us that the simple things in life work best! Hope you make it here again soon…

22. Thanks for the comments, folks!

I’m now as terrible at following up on comments as I am at following up on email :)

@Johnny Hall you’re not a jerk — lolcats are a cheap laugh. But that’s why we love ‘em, right? :D

23. Must.Go.To.New.Zealand.
    Dan – thanks for the photos – they made me want to go out and run even though it’s foggy and raining this morning :)

24. Michel says:

@Dan:
    That’s because of Twitter, probably :-P

25. Hey Dan,
    Just wanted to drop you a line and say thanks for a great talk! More ‘WOW’ was a very apt title. I’m a developer so I usually don’t care about little things like that (as my site prolly shows :P).
    Anyway, thanks for taking the time to come out to little old NZ and sharing your 1337-ness with us :P
    Til next time…

26. Thijs says:

It must be a wonderful time in NZ. Hope to get there someday and talk about web design.

27. Alex Gilks says:

Yours was a really nice presentation, lucid plus. Thanks.