Upcoming Speaking Events

A few years ago I would’ve told you that two of my biggest fears are: flying and public speaking. Thankfully, that’s no longer entirely true, and like anything, the more you tackle things that frighten the hell out of you, the easier (and even enojoyable) they become.

That said, I’ve lined up a few speaking events that I’m quite excited about, and conveniently they’ve all been just announced within the past few days:

• Carson Workshop: Bulletproof Design with XHTML and CSS

November 2, 2006 9:30am-5:30pm ·
    Boston

Having a whole day will be excellent for diving deeper into the concepts and techniques described in the book. I’ll be using the design of Cork’d as a model for much of the day, discussing the bulletproof methods for designing with lean markup and flexible style. It’s also a bit daunting having an entire day — but the 40 seat limit will (I hope) create a two-way conversation, and I’m looking forward to talking about things that would otherwise get tossed out of a short presentation. I also like the commute to this.

• Web Directions North

February 6-10, 2007 ·
    Vancouver

The best conference of the southerrn hemisphere comes north to Canada. Brought to you by John Allsopp and Maxine Sherrin of Westciv, Dave Shea and Derek Featherstone. A great lineup, and skiing at Whistler. I’ll be talking about microformats (with more details to follow).

• @media 2007 (America)

May 24-25, 2007 ·
    San Francisco

The best conference in Europe comes stateside!

• @media 2007 (Europe)

June 7-8, 2007 ·
    London

Vivabit knows how to put a really great conference together. Last year’s event was fantastically organized and a real blast. Wish the World Cup happend every year though.

Admittedly, I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be speaking about this year at @media yet (a conference that’s gone tri-continental this year, with a stop in Hong Kong as well). Actually, feel free to suggest something in the comments (topics could include “ukuleles” or “designing with baby toys”).

1. Ryan Irelan says:

On a not entirely related musical note:
    Check out this album by Self wherein all of the music is performed with kids toys. I kid you not.
    Oh and it’s really good.

2. Jonathan E says:

Hey Dan, are you sure that Web Directions North is February 2-3rd? The site says February 6-10th. Anyways, on either date, it looks like it will be a great conference!

3. Ryan – I think that Self has just earned themselves a new fan.
    Jonathan E – Whoopsie. Thanks for catching that! It is indeed the 6-10th.

4. Prismatico says:

Hi my friend, I need a big favor I can not download the css matrix navigation of superfluor template webpage, so if you are so kind,can send me the css i will really apreciate it. so thanks for all.

5. As far as i remember, you post your presentetions with notes here, right?
    I Can’t afford going to any of those events :(
    Looking forward for those PDF’s with notes.

6. David Oliver says:

Hi Dan. I can empathise with the fear of public speaking and reading. I like the Simpsons scene where Homer is giving a speech and imagines everyone in their underwear; he looks down and runs off stage screaming. Glad you’re enjoying it now.
    Maybe I’ll try and get to @media 2007, being in the UK myself. The link for it in your post seems to be wrong; it should be as this.

7. diggitydog says:

Hi Dan. How bout a trip to the midwest sometime? If you’re going to visit the east and west sides of the great U.S. you might as well visit the middle part too. It’s only fair after all! :-)

8. Thanks for catching that, David. Link fixed now!
    diggitydog (fabulous handle, btw) – The midwest would be nice. I have yet to see much of it at all. Where are all the midwest conferences? Someone get on that.

9. Ryan Miglavs says:

I missed my chance in Portland recently. Curses, foiled again.
    At any rate, for your @media presentation, I recommend you develop a full presentation of bulletproof techniques for dealing with the SmudgeBook.

10. Dan,
    Give some thought to perhaps an appearance in Toronto sometime. Great city. We would love to see you speak here.

11. I thought you were going to say that you got your pilot’s license!

12. I am so there. Got the confirm from Gill and everything! Woo!

13. If you’re speaking in San Francisco in 2007, that means I have a good reason to go to the @media conference and a great excuse to visit Amoeba Records again. Thanks in advance for both!

14. Momekh says:

Hey,
    good luck with your speaky speakies.
    But, mm, can I steal your CSS? no, seriously. I will edit it to make sure it looks different, y’know, the ‘artist not copying but stealing’ bit and all that.
    Peace & God Bless,
    M.

15. melissa says:

At last an event in Boston!
    I just signed up and am looking forward to it.
    - melissa

16. Belle says:

That’d be great to see you in Hong Kong. If you ever need a tour / shopping / eating guide, do let me know!
    - Belle from Hong Kong

17. steve jobbs says:

Doh! A day with Dan costs 500.00? Yikes. Dan why do you build websites? Just give daily speeches and cash in. Hot dam, what, you could bring in close to 50,000 if 100 dopes show up. Yee ha.