SmudgeBook Tip

All those smudges covering your black MacBook (you know, the ones that make you question your color choice) can be quickly and easily erased with a few swipes of the cleaning cloth that comes wth your Apple Cinema Display. Convenient. No water/cleaning liquid/turtle wax required. If you don’t currently own an Apple Cinema Display, I don’t recommend buying one solely for the cloth (although I’m sure it’s tempting).

There is now hope for SmudgeBook+Cinema Display owners worldwide.

1. PatrickQG says:

A cheaper option is to find employment with a company who buys Cinema Displays, and acquire one there.
    Of course if you are your own boss then it’s time to reconsider your display vendor.

2. Adam Schilling says:

Buy an Apple Cinema Display … get a cloth for my SmudgeBook! Hm, I wonder if my better-half will see the logic? It’s worth a shot! ;-)

3. It’d be kind of Apple to throw a cloth in every SmudgeBook box. But I suppose that’d be admitting the problem.

4. Matthom says:

What’s so special about this cloth? Just curious…
    I’ve tried using a general microfiber cloth, with a dab of water, and that seems to work OK. I’m open for better options though.

5. Adam Schilling says:

I snooped (a little) …
    The Apple Store (Australia) lists iClean screen cleaner (Family and Travel packs), while the Apple Store (US) lists iKlear Apple Polish and iPod, iBook & PowerBook cleaning kits.

6. Ryan says:

I don’t remember getting a clothe with my cinema display, but I’m going to go up in the attic and double-check that box.

7. Matthom – Although I’m far from being a “clothologist”, I’d also classify the Cinema Display cloth as a typical microfiber cloth — but no water is needed, so perhaps there’s some additional Apple genius at play here.

8. Dave Simon says:

Two problems I have:
    1. No MacBook yet. :( (next year sometime, assuming clients pay me!)
    2. ACD cloth got lost somewhere on a roadtrip.

9. Peter Wilkinson says:

The ACD cloth also does a fine job cleaning the ball in a Mighty Mouse.
    Has Apple developed a “Wonder Cloth”?

10. This got me thinking. Why don’t they include one with the portables? The MacBooks and MacBook Pros essentially have a Cinema Display built into them.

11. Dan Benjamin says:

The cloth that comes with the cinema display is essentially the same cloth that you can buy in most eyeglasses stores (microfiber, non-scratching, etc.).
    These are designed not to scratch your precious, precious eyeglasses, and they won’t scratch your MacBook either.
    They cost about $3-$5 USD.

12. Dunks says:

13. Andy Saxton says:

I have exactly the same problem with my Black Macbook. Will give this tip a try, Thanks Dan.

14. Ange Trip says:

My bro is debating on buying this Macbook… I guess I’ll steer him away. Any suggestions? Or do the smudges really bother you?

15. Heather B says:

Thanks for the tip. But will this clean off the oil splatter I got on my MacBook from trying to read blogs while making pad thai? Too bad these things aren’t idiot-proof.

16. the same cloth can also be purchased for a minimal amount in a camera lens cleaning kit. May I recommend the Canon Cleaning Kit via B&H Photo
    here

17. Chris P. says:

The MBP also smudges – both the casing and the screen. Is the Canon Cleaning Kit good for both? I just don’t want to bugger up the display, but it needs a clean desperately.

18. Rocketeer says:

My laptop screen definitely needs a cleaning. This product has a cool name and sounds like it works, if it doesn’t I know that a cotton duster will do the trick!

19. burt says:

I LOVE the idea that you should buy the Cinema display so you can get the wipey. Hilarious and frankly totally necessary!
    awesomely funny – made my day!

20. Rocketeer says:

My laptop screen definitely needs a cleaning. This product has a rad name and sounds like it works, if it doesn’t I know that a damp soft cotton towel will do the trick!

21. Phew, this post came just in time. The noose was firmly secured, and I was just about to kick out the chair..

22. violet says:

thanks alot … for these info ..

23. Sebastian says:

Heya Dan, hi to all the others,
    i’d also recommend iSaver which is an small low-cost tool.
    Best regards,
    Seb

24. other says:

Good tip. thanks.

25. Dan B – true but for me I’d rather get a more expensive one if it comes with a free cinema display!!!!

26. tom says:

really cool tips lets see it it works!!