The Raisin Has Ruined the Oatmeal Cookie

This evening, my wife baked an epic batch of oatmeal cookies. Let me explain why they were so good: there were no raisins in sight. The raisin has plagued the oatmeal cookie like a parasite, stifling its untapped potential as a (if not the) premier baked good of our generation.

Contrary to what you’ve probably heard, a raisin is nothing more than a shriveled grape. And its inclusion here just oozes controversy. Like a concerted front against the oatmeal farmers (?) of the world. “How do we ruin the oatmeal cookie? We’ll add dried, shriveled, rubbery fruit to it. Good. It’s settled then”.

It’s why we don’t see oatmeal cookies more often, and it’s also why the oatmeal cookie isn’t as popular as other, non-fruit-bearing treats. Smart bakers will often utilize the “chocolate chip switch”, swapping chocolate chips for raisins. Brilliant. The recipe adjustment might have done more harm than good however, due to the visual similarity between chocolate chips and raisins when they’re sitting in the finished cookie. I can never be sure whether they’re chocolate chips or raisins, and there’s no way I’m taking the chance. It’s now preferred to substitute peanut butter or butterscotch chips to avoid confusion.

Bottom line is this: leave out the raisins and start enojying a pretty darn good (if under-appreciated) cookie.

1. Miko says:

But we all sometimes forget about the nutritional value!

2. Pascal says:

Brilliant!
    I once had what I thought woubd be a chocolate chip bagel, that somehow, sure enough, while I wasn’t looking, turned itself into a raisins one. Ouch! To this day, I’m still trying to put the experience of that first bite behind me.
    I’ll have to try sans raisins oatmeal cookies some day!

3. Daniel says:

Gah, iggh. Raisins.
    Blech.
    I agree; ban them from the face of the earth, for all I care. Wretched little pieces of shriveled fruit.

4. Jeff Hume says:

I have to disagree with you here. Oatmeal raisin cookies are actually my favorite kind of cookie. Furthermore, oatmeal cookies on their own aren’t nearly as good. The raisins add a bit of tartness to balance it out.

5. Let the raisin debate begin. :-D

6. reese says:

The raisin really ruins the whole oatmeal cookie experience for me, too. Toss in walnuts, and then I really get cranky. Oatmeal + cookie = perfect oatmeal cookie.
    However, once I had them with dried cherries, and that was pretty delightful.

7. Ben says:

I would prefer to have all of the above. An “oatmeal raisin chocolate chip walnut butterscotch and peanut butter cookie” — mmmm, now that smells and sounds delightful!!

8. Oh oh.
    I gotta call UPS and stop the shipment of my freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookies I was sending to SimpleBits HQ.
    brb

9. Dante says:

It’s these kind of astute observations that you make, Dan, that make me love this blog. You’re the only person who has the guts to take down those raisin loving bastards.
    And while we’re at it, can we stop spoiling perfectly good salads with dressing?

10. Jeff Wheeler says:

I hate to disagree with you, but I was just eating a batch of raisened oatmeal cookies, and I must say, they’re better that way. No doubt about it; they make cookies better.
    Sorry…

11. michael says:

Personally, I like raisons by themselves and that’s it. Not in cookies (I can sympathize with the “Are they chocolate chips or raisons? Better not take the chance…” reasoning), not in cereal (Raison Bran be damned!), not in anything. Alone or not at all.
    Now, oatmeal and peanut butter, or oatmeal and butterscotch, I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. I should arrange this, I think.
    But raisons will not be on the list at the door.

12. Well, now you’ve just taken this simplification schtick a bridge too far. Viva la raisin!

13. Andrew says:

You’re crazy. Raisins are nutritious and delicious. They are the CSS to the oatmeal’s HTML.
    Nothing beats oatmeal porridge with lots of sultana raisins and a touch of milk for breakfast.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=33 repent!

14. knome says:

I completely agree Michael!

15. Mike D. says:

Your indictment is peculiar… yet resolute. I am hesitant to banish the raisin, considering the lifetime of service it has performed for the Grape Nuts industry, but you’re right. An oatmeal cookie is a meal of oats and should be treated as such.

16. Adam Schilling says:

Down with the raisin!

17. Dunks says:

So this is all bad news for me as I’m on a diet and my snacks are now limited to rice cakes – no wholemeal, no raisin, no choc chip. Zip, nada, the big zero. You guys and gals make the most of your cookies – whatever the flavour!

18. Foamcow says:

“oatmeal raisin chocolate chip walnut butterscotch and peanut butter cookie”
    Isn’t that some kind of B&J Ice Cream variety “sans” ice cream?
    If not then you should be drafting a letter to Vermont post haste!

19. Benedikt says:

I’m totally with you on that one! I’m not quite sure what’s the exact counterpart to an oatmeal cookie here in Austria, but I just can’t stand raisins. And we have them in a lot of pastries …
    I feel the same way about fruit pieces in yogurts by the way. You just can’t find any yogurt that just tastes like strawberry but without having those slimy pieces of something in it.

20. Skycron says:

Hey, just stumbled upon this here blog ye got here while surfing in a bout of insomnia, and I have to say I second the motion of oatmeal cookies without the inclusion of raisins. If I wanted a chewy rubbery mess, I’d choke on the tapioca in green tea. :D
    That said, I’d rather oatmeal cookies with raisins than Christmas fruitcake. But maybe you like maraschino cherries — and if you do, power to you.
    Anyway, much enjoyed your blog. Will be back fo’ ‘sho.

21. Phoat says:

I really don’t understand. I love raisins in oatmeal cookies. That’s the reason why I love oatmeal cookies in the first place, cause of the raisins.

22. Naweb says:

Oh oh

23. Shane says:

I agree totally. So often I’m enjoying such a cookie, and I’m left with dried raisins (note dried raisins, which is worse than just raisins) in my mouth.
    They look like flies and taste like crap.
    And that’s it!

24. Brandon Eley says:

(Don’t laugh) I recently bought Sylvester Stallone’s new book “Sly Moves” (Hey, it was on clearance for 50% off okay!) in an effort to get back in shape and he has a recipe in the book for “Rocky Cookies.” They are no more than healthy oatmeal cookies without raisins. I honestly had never had a real, homemade oatmeal cookie. The only ones I had ever eaten were the Little Debbie kind you find on the checkout isles.
    So the recipe was so basic, and supposedlly healthy, I decided to give it a try. The cookies were awesome!
    Okay, so here’s the recipe – give it a try!

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    3/8 cup brown rice flour (I just used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and it turned out fine)
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/8 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup Quaker Oats old-fashioned rolled oats
    1/2 egg
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 tablespoon molasses
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, combine wheat flour and rice flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and oats. Make an indentation in the center and add egg, olive oil, water, and molasses, and mix vigorously until the dough is moistened. Roll tablespoon-sized balls and place 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until done. Remove cookies from oven immediately and cool on wire rack. The cookies should be soft and slightly chewy.

25. Timothy Ng says:

Oh, I agree, raisins should get out of our cookies and baked goods and never come back. Oatmeal is oh so tasty without those things.

26. John says:

You speak the truth!

27. Simon Jessey says:

In a related debate, why must raisin bread and raisin Danish pasty always be accompanied by oodles of cinnamon? I hate cinnamon, and it is so hard to find a raisin foodstuff without it.
    I think sultanas are better than raisins, too. They seem juicier, slightly larger, and less easy to confuse with chocolate chips!

28. I couldn’t disagree more.

29. nek4life says:

I gotta say, I love oatmeal cookies and I love raisins. Sorry.

30. This is kind of funny. I read this while eating my raisin bran. I love raisins and oatmeal raisin cookies. How can you not?

31. melissa says:

I love raisins!
    Try and think of a fine wine and you may enjoy a little more.
    How about the craisins? Now those are good.

32. anonymous says:

HTML is to Oatmeal as C++ is to Raisins
    C++ is a computer programming language
    HTML is a web markup language, but we all knew that :)
    In other words,
    Web develolopment + Computer development = Chaos
    Raisins = Chaos
    Oatmeal Cookie + Raisins = Chaos

33. anonymous says:

I forgot
    Raisin Look ≈ Chocolate Chip Look
    Raisin Taste ≠ Chocolate Chip Taste

34. Erin says:

Melissa — Craisins are quite tasty… They might even be good in an oatmeal cookie — a little bit of tartness to complement the sweet. (I haven’t tried the combination, though.)
    But I agree with Dan. Oatmeal cookies, on their own, just don’t get enough respect.

35. Simon says:

raisins – no.
    sultanas – YES!

36. jamEs says:

I’m very partial to the chocolate chip raisin combo. The raisin is definitely my nemesis in this pursuit given it’s easy to think you have snagged an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie only to bite in and find a wretched raisin greeting your tastebuds. Tragic really.

37. James says:

How wrong you are my friend!
    It is ALL about the raisins!

if($user->hatesRaisins() == true){
    $user->remind("its all about the raisins");
    $user->punish();
    }
    else{
    $user->satisfy();
    }

;P

38. Gah! I HATE the raisins in oatmeal cookies. Such a different texture. Where the ‘Mr.Yuk’ emoticon when you need him..?

39. Wilson Miner says:

You know what beats raisins in oatmeal cookies any day? Nuts. Smash some pecans in a bag with a hammer (for stress relief), put them in your oatmeal cookie dough and refrigerate it overnight. Best. Cookies. Evar.

40. Matt Ramos says:

I love the oatmeal cookies with the frosting on them.
    Nix the raisons, though.

41. J.D. says:

I agree. Keep the raisins out of the oatmeal cookies. It’s like putting nuts in a brownie. Shouldn’t even be an option. ;-)

42. Brent Miller says:

If it’s the dried shriveled-up-ness of the raisins that puts you off, next time try macerating them in brandy or rum before you put them in the cookies. Put the raisins in a bowl, and cover with your favorite alcohol, then microwave them for 10-20 seconds until they’re warm, cover them and let them sit for 20-30 minutes. When that’s done, they will be plump, juicy and super-flavorful. You can even add a little bit of the soaking juice to the dough for some extra delicious cookies.
    I love oatmeal raisin cookies done like this. I’m not such a fan of the little dried death raisins you usually get. I’ll take the plump, juicy flavorful ones any time.

43. Carla says:

Raisin’ controversy! :) You will always run into someone that doesn’t like one or another ingredient in something. I, for example, can’t take olives, but everybody seems to like them. Come to the oatmeal cookies, they should make them in two versions just to keep everyone happy. Or, better yet, if you don’t like raisins in your oatmeal cookies, go and bake yourself a nice batch of raisin-less cookies!

44. Thom says:

How ironic! Just this week I was enjoying a delicious outmeal cookie sans raisins! I started ranting about its qualities (and lack there of with raisins) to the people present in the room.
    Brilliant post. :)

45. Jared says:

Dan, I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. However, I used to ger really upset whenever people gave them out for Halloween.

46. mikulla says:

Love the raisin in oatmeal cookies. Pro raisin.

47. People who give little boxes of raisins to children do it because they don’t like children.
    Never mind cookies^W biscuits – the bastard things get into everything.
    Muffins, cake, chocolate bars. All of them packed full of squashed bugs with bits of wing and feeler and leg hanging off the edges, they are.

48. California Raisin says:

So, do you like Raisin Bran?
    Long live the Raisin :)

49. redmyse says:

notice its not called an oatmeal-raisin cookie – raisins have cursed delicious oatmeal cookies.
    if i wanted dried up fruit i’ll eat trail mix

50. Austin says:

I like pizza.

51. Anonymous says:

adsfadf

52. Rimantas says:

So, cookie is HTML and raisins are CSS.
    Keep them separate.

53. Peter says:

I *like* raisins. Perhaps oatmeal cookies aren’t the best place for them, but if you ask me chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies aren’t any better.
    There also seems to be this crazy idea among bakers that putting chocolate chips in anything will make it better. Get those things out of my oatmeal cookies, out of my banana bread, and out of everwhere else they don’t belong.

54. Amit Patel says:

You shouldn’t have said anything Dan. Let’s hope the Raisin Mafia doesn’t find your blog.

55. Jake says:

Dan, come’on, it’s a cookie, nooooo matter what cookie it is, it’s going to taste good. And, I think the raisins add character, they make the more bland oatmeal cookies taste sweet. Buuut you obviously had a bad expierence with raisins when you were a kid. Mmmmm now you’ve got me thinking about Raisinettes …

56. Mgam says:

Nail on the head….

57. Adam says:

Jake, did you have a bad experience with Raisinettes?
    My vote is save the cookies for the chocolate chips. I’d rather eat a handful of standalone raisins then a handful of chocolate chips (unless I’m really tired.)
    Nothing gets between me and plain bread though.

58. Marc says:

raisins trully trully suck

59. Michael Doig says:

Why do raisins suck, but wine tastes so good?

60. I’ve been saying this for years. And nuts. No nuts. But that’s just me.

61. Simon C says:

Well, my daughter made a batch of oatmeal cookies last Saturday. (She’s 6) I was initially disappointed at the lack of raisins (and surprised at the absence of chocolate chips as Rosie will usually insist on adding them to whatever she’s baking).
    However. They were fab! No need for anything else.
    I now fall firmly in the no raisins camp.
    Naked cookies are best.

62. Olly says:

I’m 100% with you on the raisin thing, Dan. It also does a great job of ruining flapjacks.

63. Rich says:

Raisin cookies all the way. Raisins are good for you (so my mom says anyway).

64. Erik Gustavsson says:

“Of course my judgement is affected by the fact that in the Greek Army, we had to eat raisins by the kilo to keep from freezing while on border-guard duty during the winter. It seems the raisin can raise your body temperature.”
    Strange, we never ate raisins in the swedish army, but then again, I missed out on the winter training, enjoying nightly guard duty in “lukewarm” -10 degrees celsius. Those were the days..
    As for eating raisins, well, I can do that.. but I prefer real candy. As for raisins in bread, cockies etc, no please. Chocolate chip cockies on the other hand.. mmmmmm..
    /Erik G

65. Rounin says:

Raisins are nothing more than bunny turds.

66. ant says:

Amen, brother. Amen.

67. James says:

Bless you! I am so glad to hear there is someone else that understands. Down with the raisin, long live the oatmeal!
    If you every make muffins, try mixing the cinnamon and chocolate chip mixes before baking. Mmmmmm…

68. Dan Boland says:

Raisins? Good. Butterscotch chips? Horrible.

69. Lisa says:

AMEN to that!!!

70. jacob harvey says:

Ahahahaha… I never realised the animosity toward raisins. Though I like them I do have a friend who runs the other way from cinnamon raisin bagels. I was always surprised by that, now I can tell her she’s not alone.

71. Jeremy says:

Chocolate chips together with raisins make for a pretty damn good oatmeal cookie. They really complement each other well.

72. Damir says:

Aren’t we just dancing around the real issue here Dan? Isn’t it time you came clean about the pink elephant in the corner of your family tree? Isn’t it true that your great, great grandparents produced raisins in the South with slave labor? And this is just a pretence for a massive cover up, as you try to position yourself as the “Good Citizen” of the world. Trying to wipe the slate clean with your philanthropy, and volunteer work, your work with the Carter Foundation for election monitoring. And now, your boycott of this delicious treat, the noble raisin. ALL IN AN EFFORT TO DISTANCE YOURSELF FORM THE DARK SEEDY PAST OF YOUR ANCESTRTY!!!…
    Uh, wait…I’m sorry. Oh, god, I’m so sorry. Wrong blog. Eesh. How torrid of me.

73. Ian Myers says:

I have a family recipe for cookies that I think you’d LOVE. It can be found right about here

74. Russell Finn says:

Raisins I can go either way on. But walnuts are an abomination.
    And don’t get me started on coconut.

75. I detect a definite currant of ambivalence, for no raisin, against small partially dried fruit. I’m shocked, nay dessicated, at your comments.

76. pob says:

There’s no need for confusion when using chocolate chips instead of raisins. Do what I do and use the miniature chocolate chips. There’s much less chance for confusion, and they actually work better than the regular chips because of the consistency of the batter, which makes it tough to achieve any type of consistency in chip distribution with regular-sized chips.

77. Matt Simpson says:

I am not a huge fan of raisins in oatmeal cookies, but my lady friend makes oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries in them and they are just super.

78. ~bc says:

I shalln’t stand idly by whilst ye bash thine raisins!
    I’m not sure exactly what to do about it though.
    I will say that I enjoy raisins in regular oatmeal, as well as in cookies. There are places they don’t belong, but I can’t think of an example right now.
    Of course, all of this from a guy who enjoys Blueberry Beer (via Salem/Boston Beer Works). So one might say I’m biased towards small sweet fruits in many settings…
    And I refuse to place a web coding pun in this comment. Nope, not gonna do it.

79. Bill says:

My whole life has existed raisin free thanks to the culinary skills of my mother. Back in the early 70′s her raisin free oatmeal cookies were the Blue Ribbon (1st place) winning baked good of the North Carolina state fair.
    While I have eaten a raisin infested cookie from time to time – I always return to those old North Carolina classics.
    Thanks for reminding me of them – now I’m hungry.

80. Richard says:

I’m pro raisin and I don’t get any kickbacks from the raisin lobby. I like ‘em in oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of wheat mixed with oatmeal, and oatmeal cookies. I even eat them (raisins) raw. Currants, white raisins, prunes, all good stuff.
    Dan, learn to bake, you can have your cookies and eat them too.

81. Dru says:

Tu as raison?
    Actually, I completely disagree. I wonder whether you might have something about, um, shrivelly things at work here…

82. Charlie says:

I agree ! Who cares about nutritional value when we are talking about cookies anyway ???
    Raisens are the bane of the food triangle, sweet but not sweet, a fruit but not a fruit, a candy but not a candy. Raisens which certainly do not belong in the house do not belong in a cookie.

83. John Hendron says:

Dan, et al.,
    I think I hate nuts in cookies (and brownies, a glorified bar cookie) as Dan hates the raisins. I have to agree with the poster above who made mention of the plumper, juicier, “drunk” raisins. This is a wonderful compromise.
    And please keep the chocolate chips for real chocolate chip cookies. No oatmeal, please.

84. Richard says:

If you like oatmeal cookies you should try these ANZAC Biscuits from NZ/Australia.

85. Paul says:

What you suggested is good, however, I find that chocolate chips are a great substitute.
    Rasins have also ruined other things too–like trail mix. I am seeing a simile here…Microsoft is like rasins :)

86. Drongo says:

Richard, that is not a real ANZAC biscuit recipe. It appears to be missing the marijuana.

87. Beerzie says:

Um, No. Chocolate chip ruin an Oatmeal Cookie. An good Oatmeal Cookie doesn’t need raisins, but it is not ruined by raisins.

88. Jon Hendry says:

“golden raisins” are soaked in lye and smoked with brimstone (aka, sulfur fumes).
    What more evidence is needed?

89. Wilson Miner says:

So, we won the standards battle and now we’re swapping recipes? I love it.

90. Anthony says:

yes, Yes, YES and YEEEEESSSS!

91. Justin says:

Raisins have no business in dessert items! They are a healthy snack all by themselves. If I wanted a healthy snack, I would not eat a cookie. I have the same feelings about no raisins in my carrot cake. Carrots yes, raisins no.

92. Chris Murphy says:

oatmeal — goooooood! rasins — baaaaaaaaad!

93. Andrew says:

Dan, I am so right there with you. Thanks for articulating so well what I’ve been saying so poorly for years.

94. Aramis says:

Butterscotch all the way, baby!
    Goooooo, Scotchies!

95. Rob R. says:

The raisin is ESSENTIAL to the cookie. That chewy little bite of sweetness compliments the oats.
    This campaign against raisins must stop. Immediately.

96. Anonymous says:

Ha ha ha, I think Dan meant “nuts”. Please get the flippin nuts out of cookies. And ice cream. Hard bits of stale oily bitterness. Sheesh.
    A fresh sultana or golden raisin is a perfectly brilliant addition to the oatmeal cookie – if you eat any quantity of plain oatmeal cookies, I find that there is a certain flavour fatigue there that the raisin helps defeat. Add a handful of sweetened shaved coconut and some dried sour cherries to quickly enter flavour heaven.
    I fear some here have fallen victim to the poorly stored, and dessicated raisin or uva meurte. I have sympathy for those poor souls…for this souless dried fruit pretender sneaks into far too many confections, “health” food and the baked goods of the less discerning.

97. Anonymous says:

I couldn’t agree more … every time you hit a rasin, you just want to toss the cookie in the garbage.

98. David Ninetwoonezeroone says:

I couldn’t agree more, I have avoided oatmeal cookies, bran muffins and cinnamon rolls that I haven’t baked myself since I was a child for fear of biting into a hidden raisin. Thank you for raisin awareness for this cause. I would also like to say bravo to the updates to your site. very nice.

99. hambox says:

Thank goodness there are others fighting the good fight! I have made it my mission to decrease the popularity of raisins, esp. in cookies. Favorite tactic is to announce within others’ earshot that raisins are very similar to “dead bloated fly bodies.” Feh. FEH to raisins!

100. Jesse says:

I offer a solution to this crisis.
    For the Pro-Oatmeal crowd that only wants Oatmeal in their Oatmeal cookies, send me your raisin-sullied cookies. I will send you homogenous Oatmeal cookies, sans-raisin, in return.
    For the Pro-Raisin crowd that enjoys raisins in your Oatmeal cookies, send me your raisinless cookies. I will send you Oatmeal cookies with the bountiful raisins you require.
    With a nominal shipping and handling fee for my time, I think we can all benefit from this.

101. Hannah says:

Raisins in the oatmeal cookies, eh?
    If this is the only problem you have, then I’d say you’re doing okay!

102. Andy Budd says:

I’m sorry mate, but you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. The rasin is the saviour of the oatmeal cookie. Tiny jewels of sweet juicyness, nestled in the vast expanse of oatmeal. Like oases, they beckon the weary traveler into their deep silken pools, providing a welcome respite for the long journey ahead. They are the yin to your oatey yang and should be overlooked at your peril.

103. PatrickN says:

Man, you got that straight! Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites unless they contain raisins. Then forget it. It’s kind of like adding pecans or walnuts to otherwise delicious treats. The walnut can especially ruin a treat. To paraphrase Newman from a Seinfeld episode, “VILE WEED!”.

104. Anonymous says:

I too am sickened and enraged by the wizened raisin presenting itself as a compatible ingredient in the oatmeal cookie. In fact, I always lose respect immediately for those who select this bastardized version of a cookie – what a tasteless choice! I am bolstered and validated as a human being by the astute observations of fellow oatmeal puritans that precede me.
    Raisins definitely do not belong in oatmeal cookies or most other baked items as far as I’m concerned. It’s about time some of us had the nerve to go public with our opinions on this serious issue! It’s time our voices were heard.

105. Dom says:

I just read the entirety of this post aloud to my wife, in the hopes that it might affect the number of chocolate chips in my next homemade oatmeal cookie.
    In fact, I just finished a batch of mini chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies from Trader Joe’s. I’ve been working on them for a while because if I’m not careful, the entire 14oz of them will be gone before she gets any.
    Viva la chip!

106. Fritsie says:

Great article! And you’re probably right. But did you know that raisins are in fact good for your teeth?
    Check it out!
    I’m glad I ate tons of ‘em when I was a kid. Thanks mom!
    *brushes his teeth with raisins*

107. Jeremy says:

Hey dan, arent you a wine guy? I thought you liked old grapes? :)

108. Steven Woods says:

Ever eaten a BURNT raisin?
    gkkkgggggkkk!

109. Whatthe says:

Who in the world spends their life debating about raisins? Yeesh. Get a life.

110. Jason K. says:

Who in the world spends their life debating about raisins? Yeesh. Get a life.
    EXACTLY! Thank for pointing that out, this debate is about as interesting as George W. Bush’s brain.

111. Ryan says:

It’s a texture thing for me. I like the texture to not be interrupted by incongruous bits. I hate nuts in just about anything – especially brownies. Nuts are fine on their own or with a little chocolate. And what is up with the insistence on raisins in rice pudding? Blech. Who decided that was the right thing? What a way to kill the creamy smoothness with something that has the texture of a larva. That said, raisins in bagels are fine partly because those are nicely baked to a soft consistency compatible with the bread.

112. Denny says:

Somebody should make giant oatmeal prune cookies and market them as tasty explosive laxatives.

113. Wendy says:

I AGREE! I gotta tell ya, my favorite cookies are oatmeal with no raisins and chocolate chips with no chips. !-)

114. mrs imes says:

I have to say that I just made a batch of oatmeal cookies on Saturday. One batch had raisins and the other didn’t. The ones with the raisins were a lot softer and didn’t crumble as much the plain ones. So I say keep the raisins in.

115. (To put my 2 cents where it is not needed…)
    For me, it is not the raisin that ruins the cookie. I like raisins by themselves. However, something (possibly molecular or nuclear) happens during the baking process that makes raisins utterly disgusting.
    It is a strange phenomenom…as baking does such nice things for other fruits – such as apples.
    As someone who has been fighting to keep raisins out of the oven for a lifetime, I think it is great to see the momentum is starting to move in our direction.
    In light of this, we will be launching a public service campaign to raise awareness of this problem and hopefully end the baking of raisins indefinetly.
    Further posts will show you how to get involved, buy t-shirts, and donate.
    We are also looking for a talented person to help us design a new mascot/caricature as our last one was blocked from being used by a lawsuit from the AARP. The caricature “Wrinkly Hasbeen”, was, in their words, “anti old people”.
    Oh, and, thanks for all the great CSS information!

116. Josh Peters says:

My father uses pineapple in his oatmeal cookies. They serve to keep the cookies nice and moist, as well as adding a delicious sweetness that is quite pleasant indeed.

117. Dave Vogt says:

Finally, someone who understands the evil of the raisin conspiracy! My mother always cooks them without raisins, and of course mother knows best. After enjoying them in their pure, unadultered form I cannot bring myself to eat them once tainted by raisins.

118. Edd Couchman says:

Unfortunately, being British, I have yet to discover the oatmeal cookie phenomena, with or without shrivelled fruit.
    There are 117 (make that 118 including me) people with far too much time on their hands!

119. AG says:

What have we become, Anti-Raisinites?
    The secret is in the amount of raisins you put in your cookies. Try limiting your raisins to 2-3 per cookie and you’ll see the difference.

120. Kathryn says:

One additive that makes an insanely tasty oatmeal cookie: dates, cut into fairly small pieces. Date bits only get tastier and softer when baked into an oatmeal cookie.
    When I bake, I take most of the resulting cookies to work as a form of self-defense (and also, of course, to fatten up my cow-orkers in the event of a Donner Party type of incident). But the oatmeal-date cookies never make it to the office.

121. Currie says:

Amen Brother! I hate raisins. And even more so, cooked fruit. I’ve asked my wife for years not to put raisins in the oatmeal cookies…
    Response, sorry honey, I forgot.

122. alice says:

ew i hate raisins i kno what you mean! they taste and look like rat poop! i like almost raw oatmeals cookies WITHOUT raisins……now thats good!

123. C. Moise says:

VIVA LA RAISIN! In my opinion.

124. J says:

I’ve been eating oatmeal cookies for years without raisins in them…
    In my opinion, they taste so much better without the raisins, it’s a wonder how the two came together in the first place.

125. Is there any danger that sneaky sultanas may be mistaken for butterscotch or peanut butter… just a worrying thought?

126. Micah says:

I just finished reading the chapter on CSS layouts in Web Standards Solutions and I was so excited about what I learned that I came here to thank you, but after finding out you are a raisin racist (raisinist?), I’m withholding my gratitude.
    Raisins are the best thing that ever happened to oatmeal cookies!
    (Thanks for the well-written, simple, explanation of CSS layout, by the way).

127. Ray Morgan says:

I think the problem in this generation of cookies is not the raisin (which in itself should be banned), but instead is the infamous crasin. I more and more find these little demons slip inside of chocolate chip cookies, forever ruining them.
    Will the shrivled fruit in cookie horror ever end!

128. Anonymous says:

Ha HA ha hA ha HA Ha ha hA!!!

129. disneymike says:

I love raisins in oatmeal cookies. And I love chocolate chips in chocolate chip cookies. But I’m flexible. My mom was famous for her oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips. They were delicious. ;)

130. Anonymous says:

130 posts about a cookie – who said food wasnt important :P

131. Matt P says:

Nice post.
    Same problem with white chocolate cookies. For some reason, it was determined that they could only be baked with macadamia nuts mixed in. It’s almost impossible to get a white chocolate cookie without Macadamias crumbled in…

132. Jeff says:

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! Raisins only serve to defile Oatmeal Cookies, an otherwise wholesome and delightful food!

133. mb says:

Oatmeal farmers ?!?
    Try grain farmers that grow oats.

134. Jon L says:

Raisins in anything ruin a delighful snack. I thought I was the only one that hated raisins, glad to know I am not alone in this.

135. jazzer says:

Raisonista?
    Personally I like just a few raisons in my oatmeal cookie. To me what really ruins a cookie is chocolate chips. After reading how chocolate is used by industrial bakers to cover the fishy flavor of rancid oils, I avoid cheap chocolate.
    Now, if someone would only make a chocolate chip cookie without the chips…

136. Abz says:

I totally agree!!!
    Please keep posting this commentary all over! Raisins are so yucky………ugh.
    Thanks

137. Shimmer says:

Oatmeal cookies without raisins? What is the meaning of this? Why is their so much disgust and hatred for the sweet little raisin?
    I love oatmeal RAISIN cookies! They are my absolute most favorite cookies on the face of the planet and I owe it all to the raisin! Without the sweet innocent raisin, it would be such a boring little cookie!
    I think the raisin is being convicted here. And of what? Being an easy, sweet, good-for you treat? My son loves raisins and to deny him raisins…THAT would be the crime!
    Ladies and gentlemen of the jury…ooops..well…uh…anyway.
    Raisins add dimension, balance, and variety to the cookie!
    Don’t worry, little oatmeal raisin cookie, I love you!

138. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie says:

Why is everybody picking on me and my little raisin friends?
    We go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    And to break us up, would be a crime! Without them, I am nothing.
    We mix well together. We bake well together. We digest well together.
    I prefer raisins over chocolate chips. Those chocolate chips have such a superior attitude…noses are always up in the air. They think they are so cute with their little curl on top!
    Well, just know that I am just as important as my brother, oatmeal cookie. Even though we’re a little different (he has no little friends), we bring happiness to many people all over the world!

139. I agree 100% with this. Raisins are great in a number of things, but not oatmeal cookies. Long live the raisinless oatmeal cookie!
    P.S. Web Standards Solutions continues to be one of my favourite purchases.

140. May says:

Hear! Hear! I echo your sentiments and wish I can find oatmeal cookies without raisins outside of making them ourselves.

141. Candyland says:

Dear Jazzer (#135),
    What would you call a cookie without the chocolate chips?
    Would it be just….Cookie?
    Although, I have wondered what a chocolate chip cookie would taste like without the chips.
    I bought some oatmeal cookies in the store once. After a few bites, I realized it didnt have raisins. I was so disappointed, I could have cried. I was craving an oatmeal RAISIN cookie!
    Sorry, raisin haters, I don’t remember the brand.

142. TrevC says:

After careful consideration, uhm…
    DEATH TO RAISINS!

143. Betty says:

I thought that I was alone as I had no idea that there were so many raisin haters.I get queezy just thinking about biting into one of the little bugs. When we were children my 2 brothers would put raisins in the bottom of my drink and wait for me to finish it off and then scream and yell for mom. They enjoyed it so much! They would probably get the same reaction today 60 years later.

144. kathy says:

people need to remember to boil their raisins first so they are not rubbery in the cookie it makes a world of difference in the taste

145. LupoWolf says:

Add toffee chips if you must, but anything else ruins the purity of the cookie’s oatmealiness.

146. TAy says:

I totally agree. In fact i had this conversation almost exactly as you have writeen (excepting the part about my wife and baking) with a girlfriend the other day. Oatmeal cookies are my ultimate favorite but they are rarely encountered sans raisins. A raisin is a wrikled speck of sadness. what comes to mind when one thinks of a wrinkle…. (nothing good or appetizing) I feel you have done the oatmeal cookie a great favor by putting this out there.
    TAy

147. Joe says:

Wow, there really is a blog for everything. Personally, I think raisins are a matter of preference- if you hate raisins, you’ll obviously hate them in your oatmeal cookies.

148. Kelli says:

Oatmeal cookies (probalby my favorite) are actually the only thign I like rasins in (well, ok, Rasin Bran). That said, they are still a darn good cookie without the raisins.

149. Ausha Meamon says:

Oats are for horses.
    Raisins are for chutney.
    Chocolate chips are for cookies – use the Toll House recipe, but use 2 bags of chips instead of 1. 3 bags if you just want a little sticky stuff to hold your chocolate chips in bite-size pieces.
    The purpose of raisins was to preserve grapes before food processing technology. They are no more intrinsically desirable than, say, lutefisk, pemmican, or sauerkraut. If you have to eat them, it is usually better to boil them first – then it’s like you’re biting into a fat juicy grub instead of an old dried up stick.
    Of course one could say something similar for wine (it’s just a primitive way to preserve fruit through the winter), but something about the alcohol affects people’s judgement.
    ;}