A Musical Baton

Jon Hicks has passed me a musical baton. This means I get to document what I’m currently listening to by answering a series of revealing questions. And they are…

Total volume of music files on my computer:
9.17GB
The last CD I bought was:
“So Jealous” by Tegan & Sara (this record has really grown on me)
Song playing right now:
“Cheyenne” by Guided by Voices
Five songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me:
  1. “Outdoor Miner” by Wire
  2. “Pounding” by Doves
  3. “First Day” by the Futureheads
  4. “Bottle of Smoke” by the Pogues
  5. “Pat’s Trick” by Helium

(My goodness that’s a UK-heavy recent rotation.)

Five people to whom I’m passing the baton:

1. nano says:

I approve the Tegan & Sara cd. Definitely check out the live EP they just released to iTunes. I’ve never heard of 4 of those bands you are listening to heavily, so I’ll be sure to check them out.
    Musical baton… what a weird little game you guys and gals are all playing.

2. Keith says:

Tegan & Sara are great and if you can ever see The Futureheads live, do it!

3. Rob Weychert says:

Whoa, I haven’t heard Helium mentioned in awhile. Nice list, Dan. All the kids are talking about Tegan & Sara. I’ll have to check ‘em out.

4. patrick says:

does the loud hum of a skyscraper’s air conditioning plant count?
    BECAUSE IT’S ALL I CAN HEAR

5. Craig C. says:

I’ve been watching this meme all day and trying to mentally compile my own lists (in case a baton ever accidentally finds its way to me)… and I’ve realized I haven’t ‘discovered’ much new music I like in the past few years (my greatest period of exploration and discovery ended when Napster was shut down). But now everyone is listing bands I’ve never heard of and making me feel old. I gotta check out some of these and recapture some youth, dammit.

6. Jon Hicks says:

‘Pounding’ was so close to being on my top5!!

7. The Futureheads cover of Kate Bush’s “The Hounds of Love” is genius. Check it out, if you haven’t already.

8. brit says:

Man. You have one too? I want someone to pass me a baton, but alas, no one knows me. :( This is the sixth blog I subscribe to that has a baton-thingy. It just looks like so much fun.

9. Karl Bedingfield says:

Nice selection.
    Now I’m worried I have 190gb of music in my iTunes and didn’t think that was too much. I guess I like music too much :)
    Great selection and UK dominated list (as you say)

10. Martin S. says:

Hrm.. in a way this reminds me of the audioscrobbler service: audioscrobbler

11. western dave says:

tegan and sarah are my guilty pleasure of the year. not that anyone will pass the baton on to me… but the last cd i bought was ‘team sleep’. it’s like deftones on downers. very nice…

12. Noah says:

Tegan and Sara are solid! I can’t get enough of their sound. I’m glad to see that others are enjoying them.

13. Neil says:

I recently discovered Tegan and Sara too! It’s great to see how many other people love them.

14. Darrel says:

Well great. Just great. Now that everyone in this thread loves Tegan and Sara, they’re no longer indy-cool.
    Now they’ll do a Pepsi commercial and a movie track with Beyonce for the next comic superhero film and *poof* career over.
    ;o)

15. Gordon says:

It’s been funny today, seeing the “A-listers” (for want of a much MUCH better term) picking up on this meme. It’s been around for months.
    I think there is some form of social commentary at play here but I’m just not smart enough to decipher it… anyone?

16. Tom says:

The futureheads – superb choice. Already seen them a couple of times, and cannot wait for Reading Festival where they are on the second stage.
    My personal favourite would be Meantime, simply for the brilliant denouncing of the word ‘Hello’.

17. Jrack says:

Man, just when I get on the bandwagon, it runs outta juice! Tegan and Sara aren’t indie hipsters anymore? What? Crap. It would be very funny to see them get the Beyoncification treatment that Maria Carey has just purchased.
    They really are still great though, not even sick of them after seeing them in SF and Coachella.
    How much time do I have before the Doves become Sugar Ray?

18. Tom says:

Nice to see the pogues on your list.

19. Karl Bedingfield says:

You guys should check out these UK acts:
    HAL
    The Boy Least Likely To
    They are current faves.

20. csharphack says:

You have one too? I want someone to pass me a baton, but alas, no one knows me.

21. Avinash Vora says:

Heh, I know what you mean. It looks pretty interesting, and I’d love to pass it on.
    Nice list, by the way.

22. Johan says:

I love the Flaming Lips (indie rock with humor and more)
    check it on http://www.flaminglips.com
    and Flat Earth Society (from my home country Flanders-belgium) – a sort of bigband with zappaesque flavours
    check it on http://www.fes.be/

23. Tom Oakes says:

OK – so after seeing Tegan & Sara show up on no fewer than a half-dozen blogs I follow, I was compelled to download “Walking With A Ghost” and a couple others, which quickly led to getting the whole thing. This musical baton thing is genius, pure genius…

24. Darren says:

I was just on my way down here to say that I currently can’t get enough of the Flaming Lips, and I saw that Johan @ #22 is on my wavelength. I’ve also just discovered Incubus.
    Now here’s an item for discussion… some collections of music work well in the car but just aren’t right for the iPod… and vice versa. Example: the Flaming Lips’ Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots – doesn’t work in the car but is my favourite iPod offering while walking the dog as the sun sets.

25. Dieta says:

Yes, Tegan & Sara are the best

26. Eddie says:

Tegan and Sara own. Some of my favorite songs: “I know I know I know”, “You Wouldn’t Like Me”, “City Girl”, “Speak Slow”, “Walking with a Ghost” and “This Is Everything” I really like them. Kudos!