Why I Didn’t Leave the House Today

Although it is a Sunday, I’m reminded of a major downside to having a home office: no snow days. Figure 1, seen below, illustrates the reason I didn’t leave the house today. The photo is a bit deceiving, as some of the height is caused by the winds whipping the snow into drifts. But needless to say, a heck of a lot of snow was dropped on this part of the world last night and today.
snow
So, no snow days. Work is still here — still accessible. Only when the power goes out, do we truly unplug from everything without a choice. This is both good and bad. Although the weather is annoying, it can give you a chance to just say, “ah, well.”, and just come to terms with staying indoors.

1. Russ says:

I would like to see the picure from the reverse direction :)

2. We’d probably lose power, but I wouldn’t really mind… I wish we had snow like that here. Snow rules!

3. I know what you’re going through, I live about 45 minutes south of boston and we totally got pumeled down here. Almost 3 feet of snow and 10 foot drifts. I can’t even see my car, it’s actually not that bad, we haven’t lost power and I am thankful. If I had my camera I would also take some shots.
    take it easy. – jeff

4. Jay says:

And snow is better then -50 below (like it was in MN).

5. Kyle says:

And I am once again reminded how wonderful a place I live in. Today I went disc golfing, it was a warm 77 degrees with a mild 5mph wind blowing. Blue skies, green grass… I love the Central Coast (CA).

6. Jason says:

Weird to see that sort of thing sitting here in Oz and complaining that it is 35ยบ Celcius(95F)
    We barely know the seasons are changing here….bit hotter in Summer and then a bit colder in Winter is about the extent of it.
    Sometimes I think it would be fun to have snow and then I see a photo like that and think twice :)

7. Hey Dan:
    “Only when the power goes out, do we truly unplug from everything without a choice.”
    Made big mistake last year: purchased natural gas powered generator for home office power backup. Powers the whole darn place.
    Now I only break when DSL is down!
    :-)
    Christopher

8. Brian says:

I remember living in Columbus, OH a few years ago and the massive amounts of snow we had some years. It’s one of the reasons I’m happy that our family moved to South Carolina.
    While it’s still very cold during winter down here where I go to school, thankfully we don’t get as much snow. Home is a mere 70 miles south and they always seem to have significantly better weather.
    If you make it outside soon, please show us some pictures from the outside. :)

9. Jeff Wheeler says:

It is about 60 degrees here. I’m in Austin, Texas and all just a tad chilly.
    Lucky you, perhaps you could jump into it from the second-story window?

10. Chris G. says:

We got hit pretty hard in NH too. I think around Manchester (where I live) we got around 18-22 inches.
    Unfortunately, I’m in a condo so I couldn’t take a picture of the snow halfway up my doorway :)

11. ~bc says:

The snow wasn’t against my door, but it was nearly up to the roof of my car down here in Brookline (Boston). There’s no place to put the snow (I still love it) and the places we’ve been checking out in Salem, looks like it’d be the same… hope some payloaders come through and put the snow…somewhere
    PS- Jay, we heard all about this storm on the national news as it roared across the middle of the country, but when it got to the Atlantic, it refueled in the water, and spun back with near Hurricane force winds, and major high-tide issues. Hence us talking about it…

12. Dave S. says:

In other news, I left the house this afternoon without a jacket due to our spring-like conditions. It hit the mid-50′s today. It’s still January last time I checked, so never again let it be said that Canada is a snowy wasteland…
    I do have to qualify that though — we got our annual dump of snow two weeks ago, and it’s been nothing but rain ever since. The floods are getting a little worrisome. So it’s a toss-up, really, who’s got it worse.

13. Arthur Bahadourian says:

…from the left coast (SoCal) my apologies for mid-70s and bright sun.
    I took the liberty for putting-in 15 miles, getting ready for upcoming marathons.
    Hopefully the sun will work its way to East soon.
    Stay warm, stay safe.

14. Scott Frazer says:

being 20 minutes east of Worcester, MA, I had to shovel 2 feet of snow for 4 hours… oh how we love New England!

15. isma says:

Funny, here on the southern emisphere it was hotter than hell today. I think of the sight of snow like something I once dreamt of, although I see it every winter.

16. Robert says:

Down here in Houston, we had snow for the first time in like fifteen years. And for one day only–Christmas! I almost envy those of you who actually see snow on an annual basis…until I see images like this.

17. Marshall says:

Apparently, this storm dropped more snow, in less time, than the infamous Blizzard of ’78. I wasn’t alive in 1978, but it was coming down pretty darn fast earlier today, so I don’t doubt it.

18. Josh says:

Here in Raleigh, NC we just get scared to death by the mention of snow or ice. Like most of you probably heard about, on Wednesday of this week, the local weathermen predicted little chance of snow, but then it snowed about 2″. Well, this caused a panic, people left work and almost all of the schools released at the same time. This caused a major traffic jam, causing over 500 accidents and thousands of people to have to sleep in their offices or hotels even thought they were physically only less than 20 miles from home on average. So people here like to freak out and cause more trouble than needed, I would hate to see what a real snow storm would do to this town. Oh, and for some odd reason everyone here runs out to get bread and milk – I guess they think if the world ends (aka snow) then they can live for a little longer on the bread and milk they just bought.

19. We have about 1″ of snow here in Vejle, Denmark – but the weather forecast predicts that we will see snow showers for the next 5 days – with temperatures between 19-28F (-2-7C).
    …this is normal for the season :)

20. David says:

Aww. That’s helluva lot snow. We finally got some snow here tonight. Winter is a bit late this year.

21. s2art says:

snow………..
    snow………..
    no snow here………..
    sunshine all the way just 80 degee plus days!

22. Phil Sherry says:

i wish snow days would be mapped in advance, so you didn’t even have to wake up and get dressed, etc.; you can just sleeeeeeeeeep.

23. I wish it snowed like this here :D So I could dig snow tunnel! Yay! :D

24. Chip says:

Back in the winter of 1996, right before I moved to San Diego from Maryland, I got snowed in at a friend’s house for 3 days. I was still living at home and my parents were not happy since I couldn’t help shovel all that snow.
    My wife and I would really like to move to the Boston area but she was born and raised in San Diego and hasn’t really experienced snow. I showed her the picture and asked if she would still like to move there. Her answer… “Oh f**k that! That’s was too much snow.”
    Oh… and by the way, it was 76 and sunny here today. Good luck Dan.

25. Chip says:

Forgot to mention… we do have to deal with fires and the occasional flooding since it rarely rains here.

26. Dachande663 says:

Lucky You, in Britain we just get rain and wind. We haven’t had any proper snow where I live (Midlands) for about 5 years now. We got ice and sludge last Feb, but that’s about it. I just wish we could have the winters like in America or Australia rather than a slushy mix here.

27. Ben Milleare says:

Wow proper snow… the most we get here is a slight scattering every now and again :-(

28. Peter says:

True snow… wish I would have that over here. As I’m looking outside now it’s, well, snowing for 20%?
    There’s just not enough snow here for it to be the real thing that you use to throw in others’ face.
    I envy you, though I wouldn’t like to be snowed in either… lol. I guess a mix of there and here (Holland) would do best :)

29. Horst says:

At least some people get snow :-) Seems like I won’t be among those this year :-( -3

30. Ryan Brooks says:

Yegads! And I thought us canadians had it bad.

31. Dave Marks says:

One of the things I’ve come to realise while working for myself, is that sometimes you have to have your snow day…
    OK so you can work… but you don’t have too… If everyone else is off work, as long as you can afford to take that day off, then do it! It’ll make you feel good about yourself, and tommorrow you’ll feel all fresh and be more productive. I mean, whats the point in being your own boss if you can’t make that descision.
    It depends on your clients, but if they’re local and not home based – will they have made it into work?
    Sometimes I’ll take a morning/afternoon off, if I’m in a real bad mood, not getting more work done, cos I know those few hours off, will make me 10x more productive when i come back.

32. Marshall says:

On 24 Jan 2005 3:38 AM, Phil Sherry said:
    I had the exact same thought. I bought a 3Com Audrey on eBay, and when I get some time, I’m going to install hacked firmware and write a little program to check for school closings online, then turn its alarm off if there’s a snow day.

33. Bryan Buchs says:

I have a longstanding tradition that the first person every winter that says to me, “it’s pretty when it snows” gets a punch in the face.
    At any rate, the midwest got dumped on pretty good, too.

34. Ted Drake says:

What is snow?
    We just have to worry about the occassional earthquake, mudslide, and fire days.

35. Dustin says:

wow. a topic on the weather really gets people talkin’.
    I hate the cold! Period.

36. beto says:

I just can’t imagine this, while here in our tropical corner of the world we are basking in a bright, huge, 90-degrees, hot-as-hell sun.
    Crazy world. God bless A/C.

37. Oliver says:

Snow!
    What’s that font in Figure 1? Triplex?

38. bish says:

Wow! That screen door kicks booty! … holdin’ out all that snow.
    And, as a southern-Arizonan, I really appreciate the pictures of snow. I wouldn’t believe the stuff exists otherwise.

39. Christian says:

Thomas, sounds like Denmark was hit worse than Sweden. We only got about 1/3″ here last night. More is expected to come though and that saves my skiing holiday! :) We’ve had as much as +10 degrees(c) since christmas when we should have had -10. Weather is going nuts this year….

40. Thomas says:

I know the feeling. I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada and we are getting smacked with the same storm. The snow at my door this morning was up to my chin and I am 5’10 inches….and it is to continue snowing all day. We are expected between 60 and 70cm and this is the third storm this week. We already received 40cm last Monday. So I know the feeling of being snowed in.

41. Conrad says:

That sounds wonderful. Really, it does. Here in Toronto, it snowed quite a bit too, but not as much as you guys. Maybe something like 15-20 cm (6-7 in.) and the bitter cold of -22 degrees (C) with windchill feeling like -35 degrees (C). I was skiing when it started snowing, and that’s just about as happy as I get when I’m skiing.
    I hope it snows even more ;)

42. Daniel Bulli says:

Tell me about it … 2+ hour today, and 1+ hours yesterday. I wished I worked at home. Ofcourse if I did I would be Wachusetts boarding :0 !
    Pics on my site doesn’t do it justice, but boston.com has great readers’ photos.

43. stuart says:

I wish snow would get high enough to block me in .. unlikely as I live on the second floor, still, it wouldnt do me any good, I work from home too – it does have its advatages though, who else can walk around the ‘office’ in shorts and slippers?

44. Julian says:

We also had snow here in Germany last night, but just a very little bit. I think it was around 5cm… ;-)

45. Mark Creeten says:

We also had snow here in Belgium last night & morning.
    They says it was 10 cm, yeah if it keep snowing this mutch the next 5 days, we getting there.

46. Joel says:

Wow.. Imagine all the snow cones you can eat all day long! Better than a child in a candy store! Please pass the cherry flavored syrup!

47. James says:

I live in the UK. We have not had any snow where i live, just mush! Snow and rain! I WANT “Almost 3 feet of snow and 10 foot drifts”!!! sab ;o)

48. John A says:

Dang! I didn’t know it was that bad …
    And I thought it was amazing when we (Arkansas) got 6 inches (or so) arond Christmas time…

49. Joel says:

“I think it’s funny how snow is big news when it hits the East Coast but when it started in the states in Minnesota no one cared! :-P”
    What’s a “Minnesota”?

50. Patrick says:

Yea, here in Montreal, we all remember the 1971 snow storm (http://archives.radio-canada.ca/IDC-0-10-565-2894-20/souvenirs/vie_societe/tempete_neige) because at that time, we were not equipped to face the snow. Today, such a storm would not be very bad. They had worst storms in Newfoundland. Gezzz, I love snow!

51. Red Baron says:

I too, have a home office. The day doesn’t end at 5pm, the office doesn’t shut down in a heavy winter storm, and there is no calling in sick…However, let’s not forget the perks! 1) If you’re on the phone in your underwear, no one will know. 2) You just cut your commute down, from 45 minutes each way, to 15 seconds from the bedroom; 3) The only office politics you have to deal with, are your own. :)

52. #37 Oliver: What’s that font in Figure 1? Triplex?
    Good eye. It is indeed Triplex — the same typeface used for the SimpleBits logo.

53. Aaron Tate says:

It’s currently around 37/38 Celcius here.
    Here BTW is Victoria, Australia.
    I’m sitting in front of my work pc in an airconditioned office building sweating.
    GG :)

54. Darren says:

Snow… ah, yes, I remember. We had about 7 minutes of light snow yesterday but it didn’t settle. That’ll probably be it for the Winter here in South England. How we laugh when we hear the lyrics to ‘White Christmas’.
    ‘Grey Christmas’, oh yes…

55. Around the new year we had two blizzards in a row, in Winnipeg. I took this picture in the aftermath. Country schools were closed because the cold and blowing snow hampered the school busses, but the city carried on more-or-less as usual. They have been clearing a lot of snow this month.

56. AJ says:

I wish I have snow like that. All we had until now only freezing ice storm :(

57. bobble-bob says:

Is that the upstairs window?

58. Darren says:

Of course, we may not get much snow, but we do have the odd spot of rain in England… January 2003 for example.

59. kevin m says:

Ummm, the brackets on the screen door are not aligned properly. You may want to adjust them accordingly.

60. Justin A says:

Oh please don’t show me pictures of the snow… you make me feel guilty for trying to sell my snowboard on eBay.

61. Thomas says:

Well it has been confirmed after 10 days and 3 blizzards PEI received 120 cms of snow. Some sample photos of are blizzard are posted on CBC’s website under features (Strike Three)
    View Site

62. Jeremy Curry says:

Thats worse than we had it here in Canada… Crazyness

63. Todd says:

I’m very glad I am not missing out on much. I went back for Christmas and left in January just before the cold and all the snow hit. Good timing and luck I guess.
    I’ll be moving back in April, so I’ll have some time to get used to the weather change from California to New England again.
    In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy what good weather (so to speak, been overcast/raining here in San Diego) I have left to enjoy.

64. Deny says:

how does it feel living in the neighbour filled out by snow?
    In my country, there’s no snow season.
    I wish I can touch the snow :D

65. Creford says:

Several days after the snow, the weather will become very cold.

66. Morgan says:

Wow thats a great deal of snow

67. Alex says:

That’s a lot of snow. I wish we got that much. =(