Pigs Are Flying

Like every other New Englander, I’m in a state of shock this (early) morning. Disbelief. Did it really happen? Did it really take 86 years? 86 years. My god that really is a long time. After a partial night’s sleep, I guess it’ll start to sink in.
1918 - 2004Here’s to an amazing team, that pulled off the impossible. To those who never got to see it happen in their lifetime. And it’s more than just a baseball game we’re talking about here. The memories of buying cases of baseball cards with my brother, hoping that they were all filled with Wade Boggs, Jim Rice and yes… Bill Buckner. Going to Fenway with my family all those years, and continually going back to soak up the history. It didn’t matter that they never won it all — heck, it’s fun to root for the underdog. But this year, it all seemed like it was the right time for Boston to win. An unforgettable eight consecutive victories.
Now what do we do? First: sleep.

1. France says:

Watching the game and then following online and news channels chatter the last few hours was a true trip. I’m especially liking this Useless Info. It’s just the kind of minutiae baseball freaks need to know… Larry Walker’s last sacrifice bunt was in 1991? Whoa. Just the detail I need, that and Cecil Fielder’s career stolen base total, 2.
    To this day I still think Wade Boggs is the greatest hitter ever. Anyone that intentionally fouls off pitches he doesn’t like has his art down. At one point I fell asleep nightly to his book, The Techniques of Modern Hitting – without which I probably would not have made it to college ball. He and every other ’86 team member deserved a series ring.
    Even though they beat (well, easily swept) this year’s best team (on paper), the real World Series was the NY showdown. So yeah, it’s a shame an amazing Cardinal season will be forgotten amid the true Cinderella story – 3 games down and the Sox still won the dang pennant.
    Congrats. There’s no place I’d rather be now than in any single Boston pub. Hope you slept well tonight, we know Billy Buckner did.

2. Russ says:

Its just truly amazing….

3. Chris Hunt says:

Congrats to Sox fans, hope it was worth the wait.
    Last night’s result has even been reported on the BBC news bulletins over here in the UK. We don’t usually hear much about the World Series out here in, erm, the world.

4. Chris says:

So some men hit the ball better then some other men?
    WOW… I love American Sports

5. Farhan Lalji says:

Is it really over? What will folks from Boston moan about now? No more curse of the Bambino? No more “Why did Grady let Pedro stay in”? Insane.
    Is this an omen? Does this mean that a Boston native could find himself in the White House? The ramifications of this victory are world shaping.
    Okay, maybe not. Congrats anyways.

6. A* says:

I live in England, but the game on Sky. I can honestly say that I’ve never enjoyed watching a game this much in years. Well done the Red’s…

7. Rod says:

This has to be one of the greatest championship runs to ever take place in any sport. To come back from 3-0 is tough to do, but then to sweep the Cardinals in the World Series is just amazing. Congrats to the Red Sox.

8. Mike says:

#4 Chris
    Are sports non-competitive where you come from?

9. Eileen says:

It did seem as though the planets were alligned for the Sox. It is a new day for Boston.
    Pedro had this insanely, beautiful smile after the win. That was fun to watch. I’m sure the win gives the whole team peace in their souls.

10. Abel Rios says:

A well deserved, long-awaited win. How glorious this is.

11. Bryan says:

Must have been the full lunar eclipse that helped break the curse

12. Web says:

It’s unbelievable.
    What an amazing run.
    Who would have thought Mark Bellhorn would have been intentionally walked last night because he was smacking more longballs than Jenna Jameson?
    More good news: the world didn’t end last night like we all thought it would.
    From Sox fan to Sox fan, Congratulations Dan our wait has ended.

13. Chapter 3.

14. Robert says:

And who says baseball is boring?
    After the game I walked around Cambridge from Christopher’s in Porter Square to Harvard, and I’ve never seen so many Bostonians smiling at once. Or.. smiling, for that matter. But it was incredible. A block party in every corner of the city.
    And like many others it’s not real yet. Won’t be for awhile. I’d be more prepared if aliens attacked Earth than having the Red Sox win the World Series. All I can do now is stare at the newspaper.

15. Jeff Consi says:

I am a Yanks fan watching from Melbourne, Australia and I just have to say hats off to the BOSTON RED SOX! We haven’t had heros like that in sports in a long time. It was pretty exciting. Good onya’ as they say here in Oz. Just so you know… it made the news here too!

16. jake says:

Actually my fav Sox player would have to be Dwight Evans. He was a good player, just not phenominal. The kinda guy who flys under the radar, winning defensive awards, but then smacks a homer over the Green Monster to win a game. And he played almost all of his ball for Boston.

17. Jeff Consi says:

By the way – being from New York – people give me lots of crap about that “World” Series thing too, when it has nothing to do with the rest of the world. I get the “oh how American of you”. My father simply says “Yes, our little world of baseball!” I like that explaination.

18. Dave M. says:

Congrats to the Red Sox!
    I don’t even know what happened to the Cards, but if we had to lose, it couldn’t be to a better opponent! :)
    Thanks for making the Yankees look really bad! :)
    Enjoy your many moments to come! :)

19. Nils – I was convinced that Chapter 3 would never need an update. And I am so happy that I was wrong :-)

20. Will says:

Well, I was for the Yankees and Houston and they both lost. Then I was backing the Cardinals. And they lost. Good thing I’m not the betting kind!

21. Karim says:

It just doesn’t get any better than this! What an unbelievable series. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I hope I can always remember how good this feels, just in case it doesn’t happen again for a while :)

22. Remi says:

My short comment: YAY for the Sox!

23. Billy says:

Congratulations Dan!
    I would like to come celebrate in Boston but I am only 11!

24. melanie says:

AMAZING Dan! Simply amazing, still pinching myself this morning, and still waiting to see the Sensation Seven adventures in Simplebits! ;)

25. Todd says:

WE DID IT!
    Now, I must work. :( Then I must go home to sleep off last night’s partying.
    I can die a happy man now!

26. Kitara says:

Finally I can stop holding in the ‘whoops’ I’ve been savoring since the ALCS. Not only have the Sox finally won, but in such a spectacular fashion. 8 in a row!
    I’m also relieved it’s over. I can’t remember the last time I was glued to the telly like that.

27. some guy says:

well you know what this means – Kerry is going to win the election too!

28. Chris G. says:

Happiest moment of my life. Thank you 2004 Red Sox for all you have done. I will never forget what happened last night.
    My thoughts on the whole thing:

29. Tony says:

#27,
    Only if the Washington Redskins lose to the Green Bay Packers this weekend. The Redskins have predicted every election since the team moved to D.C. (from Boston, by the way) in 1932.

30. Jeff says:

Oh, in regards to message #12 from Web, just a point of clarity – they didn’t walk Bellhorn because he was a hot hitter, they walked him because the pitcher was batting next.
    That said, HOLY SHIT WE WON THE WORLD SERIES! WHOOOOOOOO!

31. n. says:

Like I said on another site:
    My team had an excellent season but failed to show up for the World Series. I would have liked for a good matchup as well, but the Cardinals pitchers pitched like everyone thought they would at the beginning of the season, and the batters must have thought it was spring training. I don’t think the number 2 and 3 sluggers on the team even got a hit (Edmonds and Rolen).
    This was bittersweet for me. If you cut me, I bleed Cardinal red. However, Boston is the only team in the AL I follow. Good for them.
    Minor gripe: Gawd, we can’t even have a post about baseball without some political crap coming up. I can’t wait for this election to be over.

32. Well n., with this streak dead, Sox fans need something to bitch about…
    My coworker made an interesting point wondering how many people are facing collection on their claims of doing this or that “when the Sox win the World Series.”
    hehe…

33. Dante Evans says:

My mom said “They’re [The Red Sox] are doing so well. It’s probably fixed”
    She of little faith.
    Let’s hope it’s not another 86 years before this happens again.
    And Dan, is it just me, or is something wrong with the Remember Info thingy? It never remembers my data.

34. n. says:

Haha…I never thought of it that way.

35. Amitabh says:

Words can’t describe how proud I am at this moment in time. I’m also looking forward to the victory parade on Saturday here in Boston – they are expecting millions of fans to attend!

36. The ripple of excitement (and disbelief) has reached us over here in the UK (maybe that’s because my boss is from Boston!) Well done Red Sox!
    I have a baseball cap in the cupboard somewhere and I’m sure it’s a Red Sox one, now where is it…

37. Sam says:

Highlight the picture! – cunning.

38. monkeyinabox says:

Mark my words, if the Cubs win the World Series next year, it will truly be a sign of the apocalypse!

39. M.e. says:

Baseball… now Is that the one with the tank tops or the big, puffy shoulder covers?

40. isma says:

I never got that sports excitement… (it’s all about Soccer where I come from, but I never got that either). It just seems that there is so much more important stuff going on in the World right now. I mean, think about November the 2nd: that’s a real World Series competition!

41. Dante Evans says:

Dan: it remembers my info now :)
    I’m a wee bit aprehensive about this whole election…I mean, did you see that terrorist tape that proclaimed there would be a great tragedy to kill Americans? This is when I regret living in a major US city.
    I would love more than anything to see the SF Giants win the world series and for Nader to win the election, but face it: it just isn’t gonna happen.

42. isma says:

that’s true. I guess sport victories are also some kind of a relief from terror-related aprehensions in America these days…That I can understand. Here in Chile there’s a lot of people who could kill for their Soccer Team, but they couldn’t care less about who the next president’s gonna be. I find it sad.

43. Eric says:

There were, by my count, players from at least 8 countries playing in the World Series, so I don’t think the “World” moniker is entirely unwarranted…

44. Jeff says:

In response to Will (20):
    The exact same thing happened to me. I guess we’re both unlucky. I watched the games in Houston against the Braves right before they moved on, and they were great. I just wish at least one of my teams could have made it.

45. Yeah, It’s time for celebration!! Dan, see ya at the parade saturday morning. I’ll be there!!
    Two reasons to be happy: beat the yankeees and world series undefeated for 8 games. We made history!!!
    I was talking to my puerto rican friend who occasionally happen to be a yankees fan – “Yankees drinking beer in Puerto Rico!”

46. Sleep? Sleeping is not a solution.

47. Kevin says:

I gotta hand it to them.

48. Anonymous says:

I really don’t follow baseball, and after watching that series, I just got this good feeling in me. It was wonderful seeing the sox win.
    Congrats boys.

49. Ron Adams says:

Dan, I’m in the process of reading your book, and noticed some discrepancies reguarding the Red Sox.
    Pp 31 – Tables Are Evil?
    “Let’s take a look at the simple table example found in Figure 3-1, illustrating one of American Baseball’s longest droughts.”
    Will this be fixed in the 2nd edition?
    -Ron