The Importance of Slippers

It’s slipper season again. When it dips below 60° (F), it’s time to wear slippers around the house. And I’m here today to highly recommend the Acorn Moc. Hands down the most comfortable slipper you’ll ever wear.
The padded foam and rubber soles make these stand out, giving you the ability to take out the trash and grab the paper outside without having to put on normal shoes. Heck, you may even be daring enough to wear them out all day, in public. They will wear out faster doing this, and really only “The Dude” from The Big Lebowski could pull something like that off.
If you think it a bit odd that I’ve just posted about slippers, then you’re probably right.

1. Derek Lucas says:

I must agree, slippers are essential. However, my current pair (I seem to go through them rather quickly), while extremely comfortable, look like a cross between sneakers and army boots. Those that you pointed out look exactly like what I want.. guess which pair I’ll pick up next?

2. Arie says:

If I am not mistaken, The Dude even wears his bathrobe outside his house when he buys a carton of milk and pays for the 69 cents with a check.

3. Wolfy says:

I also agree that slippers are a must have for around the house during the winter times. Your feet just get too cold, especially on hardwood flooring.

4. Daniel says:

Oh man, I just watched the Big Lebowski last night for the first time. What an awesome movie with no real plot.

5. Dale Cruse says:

Not slippers in the strictest sense, but I prefer the Merrell Yeti Chameleon Moc to keep my feets warm.
    click for photo

6. Silus Grok says:

I love the boiled wool slippers you sometimes find in Swedish magazines — especially if they’re red.
    Mm.
    Red wool slippers.

7. Josh King says:

First BPs and now slippers. What other apparel tips do you have stashed away Dan?

8. I’ve been enjoying my Wicked Good Moccasins from L.L.Bean for the past year. Muy bien.

9. Seb says:

I swear by Kiwi Slippers – I’m on my second pair now… Don’t know where they’re available outside the UK though.

10. Josh – Next up: the mysteries of the often forgotten piano tie. ;-)

11. Simon Jessey says:

I’m not sure I’m ready to shell out $36 for a pair of slippers. I wear slippers all the time, but I usually get 2 pairs in a buy one, get one free deal at Wal-Mart. $5-10 and my feets are happy.

12. Hayo says:

I got my slippers at the market. 3euros a pair. Black. They last an average of 5 years. It’s slipper time allright.

13. I’m not one for slippers—I still wear sandals or deck shoes sans socks until the air temperature freezes water—but really … The Dude abides.
    [It wasn't milk, IIRC; it was half-and-half.]
    Awwww, f*** it. Let’s roll.

14. Ryan Irelan says:

The Dude abides.

15. Zelnox says:

I wear wool socks. ^_^

16. Greg says:

Here in SoCal it’s all about flip flops, Reefs with fabric straps.

17. Andrew Stewart says:

Never been a fan of slippers and the Acorn Moc’s are just not doing it for me.
    I’m all for a good pair of ski ‘tubes’ this time of year. Obviously they don’t offer the same grip as a slipper but beat it hands down in the looks department ;)

18. Keith says:

I’m not a big slipper person either. I normally keep my trainers (or runners as we call them here) on until it’s bedtime.

19. Dan Martin says:

Years before, I would have thought this a strange post…however this year I have hardwood floors, and it will be my first New England winter. Cheers to your recommendation.

20. Kevin says:

I love the Acorn Mocs. Recently I’ve taken to wearing them for a quick run to the store. I’ll probably be wearing them to work soon.

21. Bonaparte says:

Wool socks and vodka keeps Finnish people warm ;)

22. Jan says:

I second that, Bonaparte ;)

23. Rod says:

I tell you, I love my 1.99 slippers from Ikea. I can slid across the floor and throw them around without feeling guilty.
    Maybe I’ll try a real pair and compare.

24. Abhishek says:

brrr…

25. Small Paul says:

Anyone know where to order a pair of ridiculously fluffy pink slippers? That’s what I’m looking for.

26. I have to recommend my lovely pair of slippers from Marks and Spencer. Only 15 of my english pounds and they are the most comfortable slippers ive ever had. Ive often found myself setting off for work still wearing them. :S
    Nice navy colour as well.
    They have good grips on them to avoid staircase slippage, as well. Always a hazard when you’re half asleep on cold winter mornings.

27. Philip says:

Try a pair of Kholapuri chappals.

28. Stacy says:

I don’t think I’ve ever read two blog posts in a row about slippers before today! I read your entry right after reading this one about a four-year-old and her first pair of slippers, which is much more cute. (No offense.)

29. Slipper season is all year for me, except in rain and snow. I wear them everywhere.
    Several times I’ve even caught myself putting them on while I’m leaving for work. If I came in with a pair of khaki’s, a polo shirt, and some black corduroy slippers, my boss would probably have looked at me like I’m a psycho.

30. Dude man, it’s still 85 degrees here in Texas. I’m still wearing flip-flops.

31. Darrel says:

“I tell you, I love my 1.99 slippers from Ikea”
    Last time we were there they were on sale for 99 cents. Ugly, but for a buck, I’m not complaining.

32. Adrian says:

Man… It’s cloudy and overcast/rainy here in Phoenix, AZ and still close to 80 degrees…

33. Greg says:

Commenting on what another Socal Greg said, it is all about the sandals in LA, but those in the know are Rainbow Sandals. They are durable, leather, and form to your feet as you wear them. I wear them everywhere, even with a tux.

34. Damn you people with the balmy Octobers. My flip-flops are stuffed in the back of the closet. They won’t see daylight for another 7 months or so… *sigh*.

35. T. says:

I got a great pair of slippers from a site called slipperwarehouse. Specially with the weather turning up here, they’re alot better than socks!

36. James Hartman says:

Funny, I got a set of FIGHTING IRISH SLIPPERS from the same place. They’re having a great season this year, and I can’t wait for the USC game. GO IRISH!

37. iShane says:

I had a pair of Ugg clogs for about 5 years, but then had to replace when my dog chewed a hole in the toe. I put duct tape over it, but it just isn’t the same. Finally replaced them 2 years ago with a pair of Ugg boots. Sometimes they get too warm and I have to take them off because my feet get schweaty. However, in Kansas, it gets quite cold in winter. Slippers are a must. Especially since the wife and I are cheap and keep the house at a balmy 67 in winter.

38. Molten says:

Are you selling those slippers? :D

39. Joe Clay says:

I wish it got cold enough to wear slippers here. Ummm, Florida weather kind of sucks unless it’s winter. It’s just too damn hot. It’s finally begun to cool off, though. When you’ve lived here long enough you’ll notice the air looking clearer, signaling the coming of fall. Fall in Florida, however, is the absolute best weather — cool enough to stay out all day without getting hot and warm enough that I can actually convince people to get into water. Can you tell I like it cold? :)

40. Joe Clay says:

Oh and The Big Lebowski is such a great movie!

41. Jeff says:

When the temp dips below 60 degrees I bring out the best wool socks I’ve ever encountered: Smart Wool! They are soft, they are cozy, they can easily be washed and not shrink AND they keep my feet feeling good!
    I’m originally from SoCal, now living in the East so I really need these things.

42. Steven Rubin says:

This entry is 4th when you search for “slippers” on Google.
    Sweet.

43. Slippers are must for all ocassions weather u are in bathroon or party. They are must. Weaher its hot outside or cold outside. Always carry a Pair with you

44. cairo otaibi says:

oh they are so absolutely sexy!!! you wear those and there will be no way that you will ever be able of accusing me of seducing you! they should be standard issue for those around me.
    (this is not meant to make any sense to either you or me)

45. vanct says:

Sure they are, sure they are…

46. Paul says:

Dearfoams are my favorite. Comfy, but solid enough to wear outside. I’ve been shopping for new slippers, but the department store clerks say that men’s slippers are only sold around Christmas and Father’s Day. A clerk at Foleys mentioned that several guys come by every day looking for slippers, but due to the dictates of the chain’s fashion police, they have none to sell.

47. Anonymous says:

slippers have been made

48. Don says:

I wear slippers all year round in Toronto. I prefer a product known as “Foamtreads” by Kaufman. They are more traditional cloth uppers, elastic side gores, lined insides, and rubber soles. They come in a variety of colors. Great for quick runs to the mailroom and laundry room.
    Nice to read about other guy’s slipper preferences. Does this mean I have a slipper fetish? HELP!!!

49. Mike says:

Anybody know of a good pair of slippers that don’t get to hot. I like to wear them all year round. Even in the winter my feet get hot in all of the one’s I have tried so far. The Uggs claim they do but I don’t want to shell out $50 plus dollars to find out they don’t

50. JOHN says:

Hey Don. Only if you have 200 pr. in your closet like me-lol.

51. naomi says:

May I suggest that you take a look at Garneau Slippers. These are the most comfortable slippers that you could ever wear. They are made to last and they are made out of the finest sheepskin you can find. Take a look at their website http://www.garneauslippers.com , you can buy online and they have quick delivery. You’ll never want to wear anything else.