TOevolt

I’ve just returned from TOevolt in Toronto, where I spoke on “Bulletproof Design”. Joe Clark, Javier Velasco and Adrian Roselli also gave informative talks yesterday on the 3rd floor of a large building on the University of Toronto campus.

roof photoIt was a quick trip for me, and luckily I was able to squeeze in a two-hour power tour of downtown. The picture to the right was taken of a roof of a clothing store in the Kensington (I think) (thank you, Suzanne) neighborhood of Toronto.

Many thanks to Tara Cleveland for organizing the event, and to my many tour guides this afternoon. It was a pleasure meeting everyone north of the border.

If you’re interested in hearing more about the event, check out writeups by Mathew Hoy (with photos), and Frank Manno.

Items carried in the BP:

• Passport
  • Airline tickets
  • Customs forms (one of these was slightly too wide)
  • Maps (folded)
  • Taxi receipts
  • Train ticket

Needless to say, the BP was invaluable on travel days this weekend.

1. matt says:

Not advisable for women travelling alone however. The taxis that line up outside airports are legally required to be registered and licensesd (and therefore security checked by the system). Taking a taxi from a somewhat random indivual isn’t *always* such a good idea, unless of course you know what you’re doing.

2. Neil says:

I’d never accept a ride with a taxi pimp.
    Unless I had a claw hammer in my BP of course.

3. Marc says:

If you do prefer to line up for a taxi at Pearson airport in Toronto, it’s useful to know that the difference between a “taxi” and a “limousine” (waiting in two separate lines outside) is whether or not there’s a taxi sign on the top of the car — and the price (it’s a flat rate, depending on which ‘zone’ in the city you’re going to). Last time I checked, the taxis are 15-20% cheaper than the limos. Otherwise, the cars are similar (i.e., luxury cars) and the service is the same.
    If you don’t have a lot of luggage, though, nothing beats taking the city bus from the airport that connects with the subway — $CDN 2.25 cash (or a token or ticket) from the airport to pretty much anywhere in the city (that’s about 95% cheaper than a taxi to where I live). Pretty quick, too, though at off-peak times, it can be more than 20 minutes between buses.

4. I’ll admit, after a good night’s sleep, my alternative taxi idea did not sound like the safest plan afterall. I’ve just removed that portion of the post.
    Good tip on the difference between “taxi” and “limo”.

5. Neil says:

Can you get sued if some mental midget follows dumb advice posted on your webby?

6. Neil – I decided not to take that chance ;-)

7. Neil says:

LOL — Maybe not such a bad idea man!

8. Daryl says:

What a great day TOevolt was! Informative doesn’t begin to explain it. Thanks for the book Dan; I think I’ve read it twice already.

9. Tracy says:

I agree with Daryl – TOevolt was really great. Thanks for the presentation, and the book is super – I’ve already put some things from it into practice on my own site.

10. Steve says:

I loved Kensington when I visited Toronto in October last year, some great clothes shops. Also loved Chinatown.

11. Shade says:

How come we can’t have anything like that in Calgary? *pout*
    -Shade

12. Jeremy says:

It’s a great little place, north of the border. :D
    I’m waiting for the first meetup of such said designers in Winnipeg, which will never happen of course. =/

13. mathew says:

oh man. if you want to get a group together, you should do it yourselves! no one else will and chances are there are people who want it to happen.
    that’s what happened with flash in the can in toronto. a while ago, mr. pucknell posted on josh davis’ dreamless forum asking if there was a canadian flash event because there are so many international ones. i posted back and told him to start it up if he wanted one so badly. it’s a huge event now.
    you need to do it yourself.
    myself and a pal are working on putting one together here in london.
    have a great day,