Sign My Grill, Won’t You?

We had some family over for lunch last weekend and I dug out the giant George Foreman grill that we purchased to skirt around the issue of outdoor cooking on a third-floor deck.
A signed grillLast Fourth of July, I had everyone sign the grill, right alongside George’s decorative signature. It just seemed right at the time — and something I’d like to turn into a yearly tradition.
However, now that we have a house and a first floor deck and no rules — I simply must get a charcoal grill. You just can’t beat the flavor of charcoal, and no matter how convenient a gas grill is, it just doesn’t quite match up.
So the George Foreman will be saved for rainy days, and for ceremonial signings only. Perhaps someday I will place it for sale on eBay. I could say that the grill had been signed by twenty of the most famous grillers in the history of grilling. And you should be so lucky as to gaze at their penmanship while frying meat from both sides — on an angle, so as to catch the fat that drips into the companion “drip tray”.
Ah, the wonders of the George Foreman grill.

1. Jack says:

Which one would sell for more?
    A George Foreman grill with Dan’s signature or Dan’s book with Dan’s signature?
    Hmmm…

2. Mike says:

I’ve got a 15″ PowerBook with Jeffrey Zeldman’s signature, is that worth anything? :)
    No seriously, I do!

3. pixelkitty says:

here in Australia, we call outdoor grills barbeques – or BBQ for short.
    Every balcony in my complex has one. Can’t live without it!

4. web says:

I plan on grilling up 9 hotdogs, drinking 9 beers and consuming both inside of 9 innings for today’s redsox home opener.
    It’s called the 999 challenge.

5. Denis says:

LOL! I got a house so we have a BBQ outside but use it only For Summer and Christmas.

6. The Forman Grill is a toy. If you want a real appliance, you’ll need the Hamilton Beach Meal Maker Express.

7. Rob L. says:

True enough, you can’t beat the flavor of charcoal, but if you’re as busy as I bet you are, you’ll find yourself rarely having time to use the charcoal grill. If you go with propane, you might just find yourself enjoying the almost-as-good flavor of something gas-grilled a whole lot more often.
    Of course, you know your own level of grill motivation better than I do!

8. Wilhelm says:

No need to find a special ‘flavor’ of charcoal. Get creative! What I usually do is get some plain briquettes and toss in some onion slices or bell peppers for flavor, you could also plop in a small block of wood to give it a smokey taste.
    Don’t bother with that mesquite charcoal crap. Give it a try, I’m sure you’ll like it.

9. finn says:

Would a famous griller be associated with a George Forman Grill?

10. Denis says:

It all depends on the grillers beliefs.

11. GFG kicks ass. my roommate has a knock-off hamilton beach grill that pales in comarison

12. BBQ for short

13. Jess says:

May I recommend a Weber charcoal grill. They are the best!
    And don’t save on the charcoal… You will regret it.

14. Will says:

I’ve gotta agree with Jess. I believe that you can BBQ year-round and that charcoal is the only way to go, so a Weber grill was the first thing I bought when I got a place with a backyard. I chose the Touch-N-Go because it’s the best of both worlds: a few minutes of gas gets the charcoal going quickly, and then you shut it off to enjoy a charcoal-cooked BBQ. This has been one of my most prized possessions ever since!

15. Jenny Price says:

Really liked that idea I’m going to have all my friends sign my freezer on my coming brithday it will really go well with my room design.

16. karen says:

i got a foreman grill hand-me-down from my cousin (she got as a wedding gift??!) i’ve thought of getting rid of it a few times now, but here in california we use it as our designated veggie grill for the veggie peeps :) my BF are getting ready to move – now the veggie people are fighting over who’s going to get it. who knew?