SimpleChili in RCP

Since we were snowbound for the weekend (3 feet!), I decided to make some chili while watching the Patriots win their way to yet another victory. I got to thinking about recipes — that a weblog is a perfect place to post recipes, even if to just catalog them for myself.

So below is my SimpleChili recipe (passed down from a friend, refined by me), which I’ve also made available in RCP. Never heard of RCP? It’s an XML-based catologging format for recipes. All you need is an aggregator (soon to be standard on most refridgerators), and you’ll have instant, customizable access to your favorite recipes. Fridge-side XSLT processing required, of course.

A formal RCP spec will be written at some point. Suggestions are welcome. I’m half kidding, but conversely, half serious. Anyway, on to the recipe…

Ingredients

• 2 12 oz. beers
  • 2-3 tblsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 can drained kidney beans
  • 1 1/2 cups corn
  • water as needed
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Time

1.5 hours

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Open one of the beers and take sips throughout. Add onion, celery and turkey. Brown turkey. Add the juice of one lime. Add tomatoes, spices, the other beer and 1 can of water. Bring to a simmer for 1 hour.

Add rinsed kidney beans and corn. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips. Serves 4-6.

1. ste says:

I started to say that you need a “field” for Servings, but then saw the info at the end of the Directions. Perhaps that *should* be in its own field, though – after all, cooking time has its own field. :)
    Hrm, I’m not normally a big fan of chili (most things with beans normally aren’t my taste) but this sounds like a damn fine recipe (without an overload of beans, I might add ;). Perhaps I’ll give it a try sometime. :D

2. talon says:

RCP needs a bit more work… for example, how is your fridge to determine that sufficient quantities are available if the values and units are stored in plain text with their items?

3. Kevin Marsh says:

Maybe something like:
    cloves

4. There is a field for servings in the RCP file. It’s called <serves>. Take a look for yourself.

5. Nick Finck says:

When heading up to Timberline for a day of Snowboarding there is nothing better for lunch than the hot Chili they serve at the lodge… except, of course, Dan Cederholm’s SimpleChili.

6. Edward Dale says:

Somebody’s beat you to the punch and written RecipeML. 0xDECAFBAD wrote about it recently here, here, and here.

7. Dan says:

Edward – ha, I should’ve known someone had already thought of this. And now begins the RSS-like battle of specifications. Then someone will come along later on and write a whole new format (Atom). :-)

8. Eric TF Bat says:

I have a bunch of comments on this, but I can’ post them here because this blog’s HTML formatting is a little TOO dumb. Shame. The gist:
    Categories: generate and maintain a glossary of categories, thus:
    <category type=”soup|stew|vegetarian|vegan|…”/>
    Each recipe can have zero or more of these.
    Tag names:
    “item” is too generic; use “ingredient”; then there’s no need to group them in a parent tag.
    “description” is too generic; use “method”, which is a standard term in cooking
    Don’t be redundant in the method; remove “Serves 4-6″, which is mentioned elsewhere.
    Always use singular form, except in case of items that don’t sensibly have one (noodles, beans, etc); you can define a glossary to convert singular to plural.
    Method can use plain HTML – <p> mainly, but possibly <i>, <b>, etc – prefer <i> and <b> over <em> and <strong> since they are presentational markup and should be treated as such (but that’s a whole ‘nother flamewar).
    Use decimals; these can be converted to friendlier forms such as 1&frac12; in display.

9. Tom Clancy says:

Thanks. I built a simple PHP app to generate a week’s worth of (supposed to be) random menu items and print out a grocery list some time ago. I’ve been promising various friends and relations I would extend it to allow multiple users (so other folks’ items could show up in your list with recipe instructions), but never have. Now when I pimp my vaporware in the future I can mention all this. That or actually use it if I get off my duff.

10. kazi noor says:

Hellow,
    I used your mini tab for my group project at Baruch college.
    Kazi Noor

11. Fargoboy says:

Definitely consider separating out the amount for ease of dividing or multiplying a recipe (decimals versus fractions would help as well):
    <recipe>
    <ingredient> <amount>1.5 cups </amount> Flour </ingredient>

</recipe>
    This would be helpful for allowing unit conversion for International use as well.