Still Chewing

My (sugarless) Bazooka gum lost its flavor approximately 2.5 hours ago — yet I’m still chewing it.
Remember the bubblegum that came with Topps baseball cards? I loved that stuff. Hard as a roof tile, chalky as hell, but somehow delicious. It also would get wax all over it from the wrapper, which may or may not have added to the flavor. Unfortunately I’m told they no longer package the cards with gum like this any more. Those were the days…
Coincidentally, I’ve found that Bazooka gum is made by Topps. So there you have it. The next best thing I suppose.

1. Nate says:

Dan, my chewing gum of choice has always been Chicle Tabs, the kind you can get at a restaurant. I think they’re made by Dubble Bubble, which is a great brand also. Since I was a kid, I’ve been able to chew gum for 12 or more hours. It’s crazy. And, I agree with you, Bazooka gum is great!

2. Alex says:

’87 Topps was my personal favorite baseball card as a kid. not only did every pack come with a stick of stale ass gum, but each card had those cheesy looking wooden borders. damn those were sweet.

3. Dave S. says:

One for the Canadians: remember how you had both Topps and O-Pee-Chee hockey cards? Exact same card, exact same gum, but Topps were usually printed on darker stock. I never did figure that one out – maybe OPC is the Canadian branch of Topps? I feel some Googling coming on.

4. Bryan says:

Those Topps packs with the cardboard gum were possibly the worst tie-in in the history of marketing, and yet I still ate every single piece. Even when I knew how bad it was going to be. I’m still trying to figure out why…

5. Egor Kloos says:

Dan, I had to laugh when reading this post. Although we didn’t have Topps in the Netherlands, or Ireland as far a can remember. But we did have sports cards with gum in it. And yes ours were steel plated as well, and yes I stuck it in my mouth. Hey, candy is serious stuff when you’re a kid, no way would you pass it up.
    We did have Bazooka gum, now that was what I call real chewing gum. BTW, chewing gum was, way back when I was a kid, considered to be very american. Man the states have a lot to answer for! ;)

6. MikeyC says:

“I’m told they no longer package the cards with gum like this any more.”
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the gum damaging the cards. I remember that on a few occasions (during hot summer months) the gum would be melted to one of the cards, or at the very least would leave a kind of oily imprint. These bit of cardboard are meant to be valuable collectables remember!

7. Max says:

The classic item-contained-in-gum from my childhood were those damn trendy temporary tattoos. I actually found some the other day (they still make them apparently) and slapped a neat ol’ Ninja Turtles on my shoulder for the rest of the day.
    Don’t ask me why it was Ninja Turtles, you’d think that the current generation of kids would barely know who they are.

8. Dan says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s feeling nostalgic about this stuff.
    Nate – I’ll definitely be on the lookout for Chicle Tabs. I do remember Dubble Bubble.
    Alex – I remember the cheesy wooden border of ’87. My landmark year for Topps cards was actually ’86. I believe I still have them somewhere still in my parents basement. I could be sitting on a fortune (maybe).
    Dave – You were right about O-Pee-Chee and Topps being partnered. That has to be one of the wackiest company names I’ve heard in a while.
    MikeyC – I think you’re absolutely right – the gum started damaging the cards (and their value). Real collectors probably loved when they stopped packaging it, but I sure miss that hard-as-a-rock gum. I enjoyed it almost as much as the white, edible dipping sticks that came with “Fun Dip”. Ah, the memories.

9. Pierce says:

In Ireland, we do have a few things made by Topps. But mostly it’s just disgusting brightly coloured stuff that’s only come in in the last few years.
    Like fake babys bottles full of sweets. And push pops and stuff. I think they make Hubba-Bubba chewinggum. It’s not pleasant.
    Oddly enough, as far as I remember, they make “Top Trumph” cards. You know, the one’s based on Ships or Trains or Cars or Monsters. There’s some kind of game with them…

10. Chester says:

I think you read my mind from a while back.

11. Dan says:

Chester – Whoa. Too funny.

12. Katie Bennett says:

I grew up in england and collected the dubble bubble temporary tatoos. I still have them, about 100 from the early ’80s! My mom used to call me the bubble gum kid. Do you think anyone would be interested in these?

13. cindy swenson says:

I am an avid candy collector from gums,penny candies rare and hard to find.All in original wrappers I am looking for adams sour chewing gum any or all flavors If you know where i can purchase some please contact me A.S.A.P