Life of Pi

Buy it at AmazonJust finished reading Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. Going into it, I didn’t know a whole lot about the book — just that it was about a boy and a tiger in a boat. It turned out to be a pretty amazing story of survival under bizarre circumstances. Apparently it is based on a true story, but fiction written mostly in the first person. I’ll have to do a little more research to find if it really is a true story. Highly recommended, and can’t say much more about it without ruining the story for you.

Update: After no more than 5 minutes doing a little Google searching, I’m more convinced that the book is entirely fictitious, rather than loosely based on a true story. Let me know if you know otherwise.

Update Update: It is indeed entirely fictitious, and the author Yann Martel explains the methods he used to write the story.

It is still a great book.

1. ateaque says:

your investigation on the originality of Yann Martel’s tale mayy be helped by visiting
    The book reads like a diary and this is to Yann Martels credit as a writer.
    But it is by no means fact

2. Nevie says:

I too was amazed by this incredible story, at first I thought it to be true, but after looking on google search for awhile I think the author has tricked me!! its too bad, I was really hoping there were such things as carniverous islands, it was so interesting! If you know any thing more plz contact me at nevaeh05@hotmail.com

3. asmita says:

PLEASE TELL ME TOO…if ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABT THE ABOVE MENTIONED….sorry for the screaming..but i just have to know!!

4. ateaque says:

interestingly, in Yann Martels explanation for his inspiration for Life of Pi doesn’t mention the story of how two sailors cannibalised their younger compatriate…the name of the victim was…..Richard Parker

5. Pete says:

World record – 133 days survival at sea.
    Currently held by a guy named Poon Lim – he managed to spend 133 days floating around the South Atlantic in a life raft all by himself.
    About Poon: He was born on Hainan Island which is located off the southern coast of China. At the ripe old age of twenty five, Poon Lim found himself serving as second steward in the British Merchant Navy aboard the S. S. Ben Lomond. He was one of fifty-five crew members sailing from Cape Town, South Africa to Dutch Guiana (Surinam) in South America.
    This was during the height of World War II. The Atlantic was filled with those dreaded German Nazi U-boats. As fate will have it, on November 23, 1942, one of the U-boats spotted the Ben Lomond off the northern coast of Brazil and fired a torpedo at it.
    Poon Lim and many others jumped overboard into the water. Poon Lim had a life jacket on (and nothing else) and swam as fast as he could away from the sinking vessel. This was a good move on Poon’s part, as the ship’s boilers exploded and the ship sank below the surface, never to be seen again.
    Poon Lim found a raft and managed to suvive… read the true story ….

6. Anonymous says:

great, it was really great and till I found this page I believed it to be true!